chapter seven

Thomas sits comfortably next to Newt. He feels at home, which is odd, but something about the warmth that the blonde boy was giving off and just the whole vibe in general, was calming. It was weird. Thomas  knew that his eyes were lingering too long on Newt. He feels as if he just can't get enough of Newt, though, as if he needs to savor him as long as he can, because at anything moment, Newt could be taken away.

"I can feel you staring."

Thomas jumps, and feels his cheeks starting to burn. "Oh, um, I-I, sorry."

Newt chuckles, a smile on his face making Thomas feel lightheaded. "I'll let you off, probably the first time you've seen a blind kid, huh? Or at least, one that you can remember."

He frowns instantly.

"I'm not looking at you because you're blind." Thomas says without thought. He instantly regrets it, feeling himself grow smaller. He can't understand why he's this way around Newt, there was something about the blonde boy that was making him forget everything that he knows was right, well, forget what little Thomas even remembers.

"Then why are you starin'?" Newt challenges, a smirk now growing on his face. He's used to people staring at him, especially the new greenies. He's learned to notice and feel the pity looks that they were discretely giving him, but with Thomas, it feels different. Thomas was looking as Newt, as if he were seeing past his disability, and to the person who he was. Newt smiles inside, thanking whoever had sent him to the Glade, as there was now someone who saw him in the same light as Newt saw himself.

Thomas shrugs. "I don't know... you just, look familiar."

Newt is silent. He's expected various responses, but this one catches him unexpectedly. A little warmth spreads throughout his body, and it makes him frown. Thomas sees his twisted face, and it kind of hurts him a little, until he hears Newt's words.

"You're voice is kind of familiar too."

Thomas merely smiles. There was no way to describe the feeling of gladness, that flares through him at that moment. "Really?"

Newt ignores him, and starts to get up from the ground. He pats off the dirt from his pants, and extends his hand out to Thomas. He's not quite sure what Newt wants him to do, but sees that he's pointing to the direction of where his cane was laying. Embarrassed that Thomas was even thinking about something completely opposite, he hands Newt the cane quickly, cheeks flustering red.

"Gonna get some sleep," Newt sighs, "it's been an eventful day."

"Do you need any help?" Thomas offers, hoping he would say yes.

Newt shakes his head in response, looking a little disappointed, for which reasons Thomas was unsure of. He starts to walk, steps slow at first, but getting to its normal pace. It's interesting watching Newt, Thomas finds, the way he clicks his tongue and sways his cane to his steps is so composed and precise. His eyes follow Newt until the blonde boy is swallowed by darkness.

Thomas sighs. Something on the corner of his eyes catches his attention, and he turns to look at it. On the floor, was a crumpled piece of paper, it's contrasts to the dark color of the dirt under it, and wonders how he hadn't seen it before. He picks it up, carefully, fingers pulling the paper straight so slowly, scared that he might rip it.

It's a note.

His eyes skim over the words, once, then twice, then three times. Thomas stares at it for as long as he can remember, heart racing and mind whizzing uncontrollably. He's careful when he folds the small piece of the paper, and slides it into the back pocket of his pants.

Thomas could worry about that later.

***

"Y'know, enough questions," Newt sighs, as he sits on the stump of a tree, "go get us some fertilizer."

Thomas frowns, as he's thrown a bucket by Chuck, the youngest boy in the Glade. Thomas and Chuck had formed a friendship since his arrival, and now the boy had been following him around. "I don't know where it is."

Newt smiles, as he 'looks' at Thomas dumbfounded. "You expecting a blind kid to go out and show you the way?"

Thomas shakes his head instantly, mumbling a quick apology. He turns around, squinting because of the blaring sun, and starts to walk into the woods, thanking Chuck as the boy was pointing towards the direction of where the fertilizer should be.

Newt can hear the sounds of Chuck's heavy breathing, so he turns towards the boy's direction. "So, how you likin' Tommy?"

"He's pretty cool," the boy says in response, bending down to carry on planting seeds onto the ground, "I mean, he doesn't treat me like klunk just because I'm the youngest in the Glade."

"I get that," Newt nods, smiling a little too much, "He's different, a good different"

They fall into silence, and as the minutes go by, Newt's frown grows. Thomas wasn't back yet. He feels worry start to pit inside of him, and finds himself on the edge of his seat. Chuck, notices Newt, and slowly gets up and turning heads to find Alby.

Newt jumps as soon as he hears a distinct scream. He's gripping on his cane tight, knuckles going white, but realizes, he can't help. Thomas's screams are getting louder and closer know, and Newt's heart starts to race with fear. Other boys around him, start to stop what they were doing and look towards the direction of the woods. He knows he can't help, but Newt starts to jog towards the direction of Thomas, listening closely to where his screams were at.

But before he could do anything, he finds himself being shoved to the ground once again.

"He's one of them!" The person on top of Newt yells, spit spraying every where on his face. He recognizes the person, but he sounds, different. Newt feels scared, actually fearing for his life. He hears other boys around him shouting but it's all blocked out.

Newt squirms, trying to whack the person with his cane. "What the bloody shuck, Ben!"

"You're going to die out there!" Ben screams, insanity sewn strong in his voice. "I'll put you out of your misery!"

Ben's has Newt pinned strongly onto the floor, leaving the blonde boy helpless. Newt closes his eyes shut, hands and body stopping its movement, expecting whatever was going to happen. He's given up, again, but it's let go as soon as he feels the body on top of him fall to the floor and hears a hard clunk noise as if something had hit Ben hard with something.

Newt sighs, breath heavy and uneven. He hears Alby and Gally and a bunch of others trying to hold Ben down. He feels someone crouching down next to him, as Newt lays on the floor. It's Thomas.

"Are you okay?" The boy asks, worried eyes gazing all over.

"Bloody fantastic," Newt says sarcastically, "I'm enjoying being shoved onto the floor very much."

He feels a strong grip on his forearm, and Thomas helps him up from the ground. He hand Newt his cane that was disgarded on the floor next to him, movement slow and careful. Thomas makes sure that Newt is on his feet, and has a good grip on the cane before he lets go. Newt merely smiles, looking over to him.

"Thanks, Tommy."