Worry

I couldn't help but nervously pace around the living room as I waited for Haibara to finish treating Kid.

Professor must have noticed my restlessness, because he sighed and muttered comfort trying to ease my worry.

"Shinichi...Why don't you go and get yourself a towel and dry off? I'm sure Ai-kun only yelled those things because she was worried about you. It will end without a problem so sit down and relax."

I nodded in agreement, and sat down on the nearest chair and began to massage my temples. That was when it hit me.

Why was I worried about Kid?

He was a criminal, literally the most wanted theif in Japan. I knew at least fifty officers and detectives who would give up anything in order to catch him.

I could just immediately call the police and forget about the promise I made with professor. I mean, there was nothing wrong with handing over the good-for-nothing and becoming the praised and admired detectective once more.

But my conscience wouldn't allow me to pick up the phone. If I did such an act, Professor would be disappointed in me for not keeping my word, and he would surely drift off like the others.

I clenched my fists, pitying myself in this situation unable to do take any action. I held my breath, pondering about the consequences of handing Kid over when Haibara's voice boomed across the room.

"Kudo Shinichi! You may come up now. I have fini-"

As soon as I heard her state that everything was fine, I arose from my seat and ran towards the room. It was mostly to check if Kid was able to move so I could take him to the police, but I felt a strange warm tingle in my chest as well.

Even forgetting to knock, I burst open the door and saw an annoyed Haibara and a smirking Kid.

"I see that you were so worried about me that you opened the door without permission. My, how considerate, eh Mr. Detective?"

I gaped in embarrassment, but regaind my composure and spoke- "Whatever. Judging by your ability to communicate and your sarcasm, I presume I can take you to the police now?"

Kid gulped and slumped in the bed not daring to look me in the eye.

I smugly smiled in victory and turned to Haibara.

"So? Can I take him to the police now?"

"...no... He needs at least a week of rest and care. I'm assuming you're going to take care of him Kudo-kun?"

Sighing in irritation, I nodded and looked back at Kid, who was now sleeping soundly on the bed with a bandage around his abdomen.

"Why don't we leave him here and move downstairs?" I asked Haibara and surprisingly, she nodded and shuffled towards the stairs.

When we arrived in the living room, Professor was preparing curry in the kitchen and I could hear the sizzling of the meat.

I was about to thank the Professor and ask if he required help with the food when Haibara suddenly pulled me down and whispered in my ear.

"I don't want you to communicate much with the theif, who knows what he'll do? Anyways, change his bandage twice a day and clean it with disinfectant- it should be in the bathroom. Don't call me unless it is an emergency and you must hand him over to the police after a week or so. Got it?"

"...yeah... No need to worry. I will call the police. Anyhow, you are staying for the curry right? I mean, it's pretty late..."

"No." Haibara abruptly cut me off. "The old man has been consuming food with a lot of fat and sodium lately. I'm feeding him salad tonight."

"Okay then. Be careful on your way back. Tell the kids that Conan says hi."

Haibara paused, then smiled. "I will, Tantei-kun, so make sure you stay alive so you can send them a postcard or something."

I grinned and watched Haibara drag the whining Professor away from the curry and towards the front gate.

Soon after, I heard the familiar rumble of Professor's beetle as he drove off into the night.

----------------------------------------------------
Hello!
So sorry for not updating sooner!
I caught a cold and couldn't really wake up... really sorry!
I hope I'm not dragging the story too much...
I don't want it to be slow but then I don't want the story to be hurried...
So difficult!!!
Anyways, have a lovely day/night, and "see you next illusion!" ;)