0.4

I woke at nearly 10 am the next morning. I'd been asleep for just under 5 hours. I rolled off the bed and looked around the room feeling a wave of nostalgia. This would probably be the last time I'd be in here. It was silent. Dead silent. My anxiety started to peak and I felt one of my panic attacks coming on. I slumped to the floor feeling sick instantly. I couldn't keep up this tough girl act. I got my composure back together as I stood up and slid my socks on my feet. I laced my running shoes on as well and left my naturally curly hair out. I slung my gym bag with everything in it over my shoulder. To say it was heavy was an understatement. I got down the stairs and to the kitchen. I grabbed a banana to eat and headed out the door.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

It was now 11:30 am when I got back to the Clark house. They were packing the truck ready for when they'd be leaving. I put my gym bag in the car and went inside. As I opened the door and came in I was engulfed in Alicia's arms.
"I was so worried about you! Don't do that ever again!" She spoke softly in my ear as she hugged me tightly.
"Sorry. I just had to see my house one last time." I told her feeling my voice crack a bit.
"Glad to see you're alive." Nick said as he passed us into the kitchen. I just smiled and nodded at him.
"Where's Chris?" I asked Alicia to which she quirked an eyebrow at me and a lazy smirk was plastered on her face.
"I have a feeling he's out looking for you." She responded turning away. Travis, Maddie, Liza and Chris finally came in and we all shared knowing looks. They all looked relieved to see me. I looked to the door when we heard cars rolling up the street, doors slamming and people talking. Travis opened the door and the rest of us followed behind him.
"What's going on?" Travis asked the soldier who was holding a checklist. Everyone in the suburb had come out from hibernation. I felt Chris' presence beside me.
"You came back." He said in a relaxed tone.
"I just needed to be at home one last time." I told him truthfully.
"I'm glad you're here." He said as his hand slipped into mine and he looked straight ahead at the scene before us.
"Uh yeah Daniel Salazar, Ofelia Salazar, Griselda Salazar and Lilly Darkbloom." We both caught the end of the checklist as the soldier nodded his head and walked away.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

I found myself now sitting in the Clarks backyard. I sat down with my feet in the pool.
"And someone has already stolen my spot." Nick's voice rang through my ears as he approached me. I smiled at him as he sat next to me with his feet in the water too.

"So... Why'd you come back?" Nick asked me as I stared into space. I laughed at his question and turned to look at him.

"Don't want me here?" I gave him a smile as I winked at him.

"No no. Didn't mean it like that. I just meant shouldn't you be with your family?" He asked me, with concerned eyes.

"Hmm. Well. My dad passed away when I was 16. He had lung cancer. And my mum..." I paused for a moment trying to think of the right words to say. "I watched her die in front of me last night. So in other words, I haven't got anywhere else to go." I told him as I stared at the water trying my best to hold myself together. I didn't want to think about what had happened. I rubbed the corners of my eyes to wipe away any tears that were ready to fall.

"Hey. It's going to be okay. You'll get through this alright? It's gonna hurt for a while but you'll get through it. You'll be a stronger person in the end. It's going to be alright." His reassurance soothed me as he raised my chin so I was staring at him. His arm was drapped over my shoulder as he rubbed it reasuringly. Nick was warm and caring. He wasn't like anything Alicia had told me.

"I know what it's like. I lost my dad too." He said as his hand had moved from my shoulder into my hair as he played with it.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. I never knew." I told him as I looked up at his face. He looked upset but he had a great way of hiding it. He turned to face me and cupped my face in his hands looking into my eyes.