Rumor Has It

Please read the author's note!!

~ ~ ~

There was a steady tapping on my bedroom window, pulling me from my sleep. Wind shook the house, making the walls creek and I squinted my eyes open to see the dimly lit room. It was 7:32 am, but the blanket of clouds covering the sky kept my room dark.

I pulled my comforter around my shoulders and dragged myself out of bed. My body shivered at the low temperatures of my house and I scolded myself for, again, not turning on the heater before I went to sleep. Jaxon had gone home some time after midnight and I'd been so tired, I went up and crawled right into bed.

I turned on my shower and let the water heat up while I got undressed. The rain outside sounded like it was coming down harder.

I shook myself from my distracted state and stepped under the hot stream of water. I took my time, only getting out when the water started to get cold. I went through my morning routine, today deciding that simple eyeliner and my favorite burgundy lipstick was enough. I slipped on a pair of jeans, suede boots that came to just above mid-calf, and my warmest beige knitted sweater.

To keep myself dry from the rain, I slipped on my leather jacket before grabbing my backpack and heading downstairs.

I ate a small cup of instant oatmeal hoping that it would help keep me warm. It was stupid, but worth a shot.

I put off leaving for as long as I could, but eventually the time came. I walked outside and immediately knew that my oatmeal had done nothing to keep me warm. I scurried over to my car and hopped in.

I drove slower than usual because of the slippery roads and thankfully I made it to Mel's school on time.

The rain had slightly let up so I decided not to get my umbrella from the trunk. I grabbed my backpack and speed walked to the doors of the school.

Inside the warm air blasted and I rubbed my hands together as I walked towards Melanie's locker, trying to get some feeling back into them.

I grabbed my history folder from the locker and started off towards Mr. Reid's classroom.

I saw a familiar blonde ponytail walking just a few feet ahead of me and I jogged forward to catch up with her.

"Hey Maddy." I said brightly when I reached her.

She smiled when she saw me. "Hey, Mel. I didn't really see you at the fair, did you have fun?"

Halloween night flashed through my mind leading to memories of my birthday and a smile spread onto my face.

"Yeah, it was fun." I bit my lip trying to control my facial expressions but Madison saw right through me.

"Did something happen?" She looked at me suspiciously.

I grinned at her. "Well-"

And arm wrapped around my waist and my words were cut off as a pair of lips pressed against mine. My thoughts flew from my mind and my heart rate sped up. My hands rested on Jaxon's chest and the only thing I could focus on was his intoxicating kiss.

Suddenly I remembered that we were in a hallway full of other students and I pulled away from him. I awkwardly looked over at Madison who was staring at us with wide eyes.

I looked back over to Jaxon who was smiling down at me. "Hi."

I laughed breathlessly. "Hi."