Coming To Terms

Oh look, an update. You're welcome.

The image has nothing to do with the chapter, I just liked it.

Don't forget to vote!

Happy Reading :)

~ ~ ~

I slipped off my jacket with a long sigh and threw it down onto the couch in my living room. Several voices in the kitchen caught my attention and I followed the sound, grateful for some form of a distraction.

I'd managed to keep myself from crying the entire way home, which I was very proud of, but that didn't make the situation and better.

I entered the kitchen to find my parents talking animatedly to Melanie and her own parents. I'd forgotten that my mother had arranged for them to come over. They'd been getting really close since everything had happened and I was glad that my parents had some friends their own age. After traveling for all those years, they didn't really have time to form lasting bonds with anyone.

I supposed it was the same for Melanie's parents, being travel agents.

My mother looked to me with a smile before her eyes furrowed in confusion. "Where are the groceries, doll?"

I tried to stay composed and keep images of my encounter with Jaxon from my mind. "I ran into a small issue. I couldn't get what you needed, I'm sorry."

I wasn't sure if she'd figured out what I was talking about, but she dropped the subject.

"Oh," she said. "Well, that's fine, we'll get them a different day."

I nodded and joined them as they stood around the kitchen island. Melanie sent me a questioning look but I shook my head.

The night went on slowly as my parents served dinner and held conversation with Sandra and Harris. I tried to join in and keep my mind from wandering, but every glance that Melanie sent me just brought me right back.

It was like she was asking me what had happened with her eyes. It really wasn't helping the fact that I only wanted to forget.

The way Jaxon so coldly brushed me off made me wonder if I'd ever meant anything to him. He looked so emotionless staring back at me, as if I were a stranger. As if it really had all been fake and he felt nothing for me now, if he ever did.

I pushed my food around on my plate and leaned my head on my hand. I just wished he would talk to me, so that I could explain. I wanted to tell him that it wasn't fake for me- none of it.

Before I knew it, the clatter of dishes clinking was snapping me from my thoughts and my mother was clearing the table. I quickly joined her and we got all of the dishes into the sink to be washed.

I floated through the rest of the night and soon, happy conversation melted into content goodbyes. When my parents closed the door behind Melanie and her parents I quietly bid them goodnight and made my way up to my room.

Gizmo greeted me at my bedroom door and laid beside me after I flopped down on my bed. I welcomed the secure comfort that it brought me and immediately felt my eyes droop. Holding in so much emotion was unbelievably draining.

I felt my muscles relax and snuggled more deeply into my pillow. I sighed, somewhat happily, and let my mind slowly turn off.

The loud ringing of my phone broke the silence and my eyes snapped open. I groaned and pulled myself off the mattress. I grabbed blindly for my phone which was blaring from my nightstand and pressed answer.