Change of Plans

Sending a big thank you to @SAIMA_2608 for the beautiful cover!

Happy reading and don't forget to vote :)

~ ~ ~

I stared at their faces, trying to read their expressions. It was a little difficult considering the fact that I was also trying to avoid their piercing eye contact.

"So, let me get this straight," my dad finally said. "You and Melanie swapped lives and no one noticed the change?"

I shook my head. "Everyone noticed, but they didn't know we were twins so we got away with it."

"How far did this swap go? Have you been living with her parents too?" My mom asked, her voice laced with hurt.

"Of course not, mom. Her parents travel a lot for work. Kind of like you only not as far and not as long. They didn't find out until very recently." I explained.

They stared again and I bit my lip. The waiter came around and filled our empty water glasses but none of us acknowledged him.

"What was the goal of this again?" My mom asked.

I sighed. "We wanted to get back at Mel's classmates for tormenting her. She wasn't confident enough to stand up to them, so she's been spending time with the girls while I've been building up her reputation."

"So, no one from her school knows that there's two of you?" Dad asked and I shook my head.

My mom raised an eyebrow. "Not even Jaxon?"

My stomach dropped. Slowly I shook my head again. "No. Jaxon doesn't know either."

"Oh, Brynn." My mom began and I withheld a groan. Hear it comes. "Honey, a relationship can't be based on lies!"

"Your mother's right."

Thanks dad.

"This can't keep going on, you need to tell him. Tell everyone, actually." My eyes widened.

"Mom, I can't do that! We've already come this far!" I exclaimed. My heart rate began to pick up.

I knew we were going to have to come clean eventually, but I wasn't planning on that for at least a few more weeks. I thought I had more time. I needed more time.

"This has gone on long enough-"

"But mom," my voice raised slightly in desperation and my mom sent me her signature warning glare.

"Brynn Renee Bennett, do not raise your voice at me." She said with her finger raised.

I sunk lower in my chair before replying, my voice was quiet and pleading. "I'm sorry, mom. But you have to understand, Mel isn't ready to go back yet. I've acquired a lot of attention in the past few months and if just throw her into that the other students will eat her alive."

My parents looked at me like they wanted to argue but realized they couldn't. It's not like they could tell me that Melanie would be fine, they didn't know her. And I knew she wouldn't be. She'd grown more confident for sure but there was no way she could face Hanna or Cameron separately at this point, let alone both of them together.

There was also the fact that I wasn't ready to tell Jaxon that I'd completely lied about everything. I liked him, a lot. Probably more than I'd liked any other guy and I didn't want to risk him hating me for keeping the truth from him.

I knew that in order to get Melanie and Cameron together I'd have to tell them the truth. I just hoped that Jaxon wouldn't change his mind about me after finding out that I'm a different person.