Chapter 2

"Where are you going? It's so early."

"I'm going to work, mom, and I'm taking Shinobi-san with me. I might need him." Says Branca.

"I was going shopping for groceries today."

"You can do that tomorrow, or later today." Branca finishes her cappuccino and grabs her handbag and the business bag where she keeps all her reports. "Shinobi-san, let's go."

Shinobi-san, the cyborg, follows Branca to the car and sits on the passenger seat putting the seatbelt on and holding both Branca's bags. She drives to the base driving through the small city, passing through the Public Assistance Robots that are cleaning the debris from last night's storm. The storm caused some damage but it was mainly broken tree branches, garbage containers that rolled to the streets or inundated garages. Overall the journey to base was slow thanks to all the PAR working with huge trucks to suck in the water from the garages, pushing the large garbage containers back to their place or sweeping the streets of debris.

With the winds calm it's easier for smaller spacecrafts to land, from the bridge that takes her to base, Branca can see some of them landing. Her own spacecraft is safe in the hangar where she left it yesterday. Listening to Nujabes she crosses the bridge and arrives at the base where more PAR are working. The small base is divided by three: the hangar, the military zone and the administration zone. Branca drives to the military zone, here too there's inundation and the PARs are slow workers, so she parks her car on the upper levels.

"Shinobi-san let's go."

They both leave the car and walk towards the elevator.

"Branca!"

Branca stops the elevator from closing. Her cousin André is coming towards her with his own cyborg Lilu walking behind him holding his bag. His tall with very short curly dark hair. His round face resembles Branca's with a lot more masculine features.

"You're back." He gives her two kisses on both cheeks and smiles. "Fernando told me that you were back yesterday."

"Yeah, that's right." She smiles back at him.

"Are you coming to work already? Don't you have a few days of rest? Thought that was mandatory."

"It is, but my report can't wait a few days. So, here I am."

"Right. Well, guess who got promoted while you were gone?"

"You?"

"Nah, Diogo."

"You're kidding? Finally."

"Yeah, it was long overdue, everyone told him that. His walking around like some peacock so proud of himself. He's still working at the hangar but at least his doing desk work."

"That's what he wanted."

"Yeah, it was, but now he wants to go further and work here. His thinking of joining the army."

"You're joking, right."

"Nope."

The elevator stops at the tenth floor and they all enter the bright white hallway. Branca stops at the first door and says goodbye to André who invites her to lunch.

"Hello, Diana."

"Colonel! You're here already. I wasn't expecting you for another week."

"I know but I have to deliver my report to the Major General."

"Oh, right the report. How was it?"

"Better than the moon, this time they actually brought some technology for us to see. It did wonders to the politicians."