Chapter 8

The next morning she wakes up feeling peculiar. Her heart is heavy and warm. Even before she gets up she thinks about the king. What in the world did he see in her to make him want to spend the night with her? Whatever it was he was wrong to assume that she was the type to sleep with a man like that. He was so candid, it surprised her. Perhaps if he was less blunt and more seductive Branca would've stayed, but no, she wouldn't without feeling disappointed in the morning.

She finally gets up in a whirlwind of emotions. She did her toilette and then left the bedroom to have breakfast.

"Good morning, Miss."

"Good morning, Zu'olu."

"The breakfast is already served in the dining room."

"Alright."

Branca has her breakfast alone. Afterwards, she goes into the kitchen looking for Zu'olu.

"Zu'olu, is there a library in the palace?"

"There is one but it belongs to the king's private collection."

"Oh, I see. Ah well. Thank you."

"My pleasure, Miss."

Branca goes to the siting room and watches some television. She ends up listening to music all morning. At lunch time her cousins show up.

"It's about time you guys came down. I'm bored." She says.

"We left the party late. So, how did it go?" asks André.

"It was what you thought he made his move on me but I left."

"Good."

The three cousins sit and wait for lunch to be served.

"When do you think we'll be on our way home?" asks Gonçalo.

"Perhaps after a few days." Answers Branca.

"I'm going to die of boredom before we leave."

"So am I, but there's nothing we can do."

"Ask Zu'olu if there's any entertainment around here."

"I'm not asking him that."

"Fine I'll ask but I need the cyborg."

"You know I've been thinking. Haven't they got spacecrafts more advanced than ours?" asks André.

"They must." Says Branca.

"We could ask someone to teach us how to use them."

"Learn how to pilot a spacecraft? We don't have time for that."

"If they're more advanced then it shouldn't take long." Insists André.

"I don't know. Maybe you're right."

"I'm in." says Gonçalo.

"Well, I'm in too. Let's ask Zu'olu if there's someone that can teach us." Says Branca.

At that moment the servants enter the siting room carrying the lunch. Zu'olu follows behind.

"Lunch is almost served."

"Zu'olu we have a request."

"A request? By all means ask me anything."

"We were thinking about your spacecrafts and how they are more advanced here than on our planet. We would like to learn how to pilot them. Do you know someone we could ask to teach us?"

"I believe those requests need the king's approval, since you are not part of the Union."

"And how can I speak to the king?"