Chapter Four

Arms crossed over my chest, I watched as little spots of blue danced over the distant plains by the Pelagia Farm. Even without my formerly enhanced hearing, the rebels' shouts reached my ears in an incessant, loud, and indistinguishable jabber. Like a nest of blue hornets they buzzed, going about their tasks, readying for the assault.

"Look," Vilkas said from his place at my side, pointing to the four towering war machines. "There are the catapults."

I suppressed a shudder. These soldiers were willing to tear this city apart, just to gain an advantage in this war. This beautiful city, home to farmers and families. To blacksmiths and beggars. To priests and people.

"By Talos, this is wrong," I said, shaking my head. "The citizens have no place to flee. They have resorted to taking shelter in the crypt below the Hall of the Dead. They've had to take shelter among corpses just to escape this." Even if it were not ladylike, I spat over the edge of the wall. "These rebels are willing to stop at nothing. Ulfric's siege must be put to an end. The wildfire he has started must be stopped here. With us. With this city."

"I agree." He nodded towards Jorrvaskr, where the others had gathered at my request. "Best give them their orders now."

We climbed off our spot on the wall and jogged up the path towards our hall and home. All the Companions stood on the front steps, their weapons drawn. Eirik even had an arrow notched in his bowstring. They all shared a look of anticipation as well as determination. Their fear had been abandoned and replaced with the thrill of a fight.

"Listen up," I said as I stood at the bottom of the steps. "Aela and Eirik, you know where you have to be. Stick together, and don't let any Stormcloaks past you."

They nodded, then took off towards the Skyforge.

"Athis and Njada, I know you've had problems in the past, but you need to put them aside and work together. Watch the other's back. I need you at Dragonsreach. You'll be the Companions' last line of defense for the Jarl, should any rebels make it that far."

They took off sprinting up the hill and into the Cloud District. I could not help but notice Njada almost push Athis into the small waterfall that ran all the way down to the Plains District.

"And for the rest of us?" Torvar asked, gripping the blade of his sword tight.

"We shall remain down here, in between the gates and Jorrvaskr. If you see a group of Legionnaires that require your help, help them. Boost morale wherever you go. And stay together. Understood?"

"Yes, Harbinger," they all echoed. Torvar and Ria began to jog down the path towards the Plains District. Farkas sheathed his weapon, framed Tyra's face in his hands, then pressed a loving kiss to her lips. It lasted only a second, but I knew how much that kiss meant to them.

"I have to get something, but I'll be right back," he said, rushing back into Jorrvaskr.

I stepped up to Tyra, noting the fear in her eyes. She held her hands over her stomach. Her face was twisted in worry as well as fright. I had never seen her more afraid. Not when Farkas took two weeks to return from a simple hunting trip, not when Kaleir had almost fallen down the well in the marketplace, not when Bria broke her arm after she tried to climb up the Skyforge's lower wall.

"Tyra?" I asked, stepping closer. I rested my hand over her arm. "Are you all right?"

"What? No, I'm fine." She swallowed hard and blinked several times. "I'm all right."

I furrowed my brow. "No, you're not. You're hiding something. From Farkas." I touched my other hand to her shoulder. "You're pregnant, aren't you?"