Chapter Twenty-Eight

Vilkas

"... and so, since she has not reported back, we can only assume that Faerie's mission to rescue Ylva has failed."

I pinched the bridge of my nose and gritted my teeth together to keep from making a smart comment. I knew that the plan wouldn't work. But did anyone listen? Of course not.

Across the war table, Marina continued, "I hate to think the worst, but Faerie wouldn't fail her mission unless she were killed. And the Thalmor certainly wouldn't take anymore prisoners."

Ulfric crossed his arms and exhaled heavily. Since hearing of Ylva's capture, he had been residing in Whiterun to "help" with the war effort. How he could just drop all his responsibilities and leave his people to their own devices was beyond me. He had not been of that much help, anyway. His services would be better put to use in Windhelm. However, I supposed that it boosted the troops' morale to see their leaders banding together in this time of crisis.

"We can't afford to send anyone else there," said Ulfric, "and the Thalmor will have undoubtedly doubled security now that one rescue attempt has been made." He glared pointedly at Marina. "You should have consulted me before making any plans. I know what that place is like. I know—"

"Yes, Ulfric, you know everything there is to know about the Thalmor, don't you? I didn't have time to write you a letter and ask for your advice. You wouldn't have given me anything good, anyway!"

Ulfric recoiled. "How dare you speak to a Jarl like that!"

I slammed my hands down on the table. "Both of you, stop it!" I couldn't keep my peace any longer. I did not want to be here, playing mediator for these two childish leaders, in the first place. "Arguing and passing blame won't change what happened. We can stand here all night and argue about who's at fault, but it doesn't change the fact that Ylva, my wife, is still a prisoner, and you're not doing a damn thing to help her!"

Ulfric opened his mouth, but I hissed to keep him quiet. "And don't you say that her life means a lot to you because she's the Dragonborn General or she used to live under your rule. Don't you dare say that. She is my wife, the mother of my children, and I will not have you patronize me any longer, Ulfric! I won't. If you don't want me to march out of here and go rescue Ylva myself, you'll refrain from making anymore derogatory remarks to Marina."

Silence followed my outburst, both Ulfric and Marina too stunned to speak.

I huffed and snatched my cloak off the table. "If you'll excuse me, I've got two children to put to bed, and I really don't want to delay having to tell them that their mother still won't be coming home."

As I stormed out of the war room, I overheard Marina tell Ulfric to wait before her light footfalls chased after me.

I spun around to face her, pressing my lips together to keep from snapping at her. It wasn't her fault, and she had dealt with enough rudeness from Ulfric as it was.

"Vilkas, I'm sorry we can't do more for Ylva. Where we are... the war isn't going well, and we can't afford to send troops to Haafingar to save her when it'll only result in heavy casualties."

I dragged a hand down my face. That wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it wasn't unexpected. "Then what can you do?"

"Wait and pray that the war turns in our favor. But without Ylva, I don't.... Vilkas, can you say, without any doubt, that she can hold out until she's rescued?"

Gods, the last thing I wanted to think about was my wife enduring torment. I had done everything I could to keep that thought from entering my mind. I had nightmares filled with her screams and blood, nightmares far worse than any of the dreams I had suffered when I was a werewolf.