Chapter Twenty-One

As planned, we started our march to Windhelm. The troops had done an amazing job preparing, packing up the tents and supplies, and ensuring that the fort had been emptied before we set out.

I rode at the front of our company, alongside my husband, Ulfric, and Marina. Behind us were the next line of commanders, like Ralof and Aquitor Velvan, and behind them were the rest of the soldiers. We knew it was a risk, traveling with such a large group, but with the sun dipping towards the horizon, we were able to move a little more freely than if we had tried to march in the morning.

The icy winds knifed straight through my armor, and I hunkered down lower into my saddle. My cloak did nothing to protect me from the cold, even though it was made of thick wolf's skin. As a girl, I had become used to this weather, but it had been years since I had lived in a cold region of Skyrim. My tolerance for the frigid weather had lessened over the years, despite my living in Eastmarch for the first half of my life.

For most of the march, we had been quiet. The men behind us had exchanged words, laughed at jokes, and discussed their plans for when we reached Windhelm, but the leaders, myself included, had not said so much as a sentence to each other. The only words I had said to Ulfric were recommendations to slow down and give them footmen a break, or something else along those lines. I was still angry at what he had said to Vilkas, about how he had patronized him. As far as I could tell, Ulfric was still angry at me, but for what, I could not say. He could not be angry at me for taking my husband's side over his. That would be illogical.

Then again, Ulfric did not always think logically.

In the distance, the massive braziers burning in Windhelm flickered on the horizon. With the remaining sunlight, I could just make out the outline of the city's walls. We were so close, and with every one of Keskivö's hoofbeats, I found my heart beating just a little harder.

Vilkas guided his horse to trot closer to mine, then gave me a look. In the evening light, his eyes shimmered with an almost unnatural glow. "It'll be all right, Ylva."

I smiled at him. "How could you tell I was nervous?"

"My dear, we've been married long enough for me to know when something's bothering you." He reached across the gap between our horses and took my hand in his. "I know you too well, Ylva."

"Yes, you do."

When we were within sight of the stables, the guards outside the city came forward with their swords drawn. They wore heavy Imperial armor, designed to keep them safe from the cold. "Ho, there!" called one. "What is all this?"

"Stand down, soldier," said Marina. She dismounted her horse first, and the rest of us followed her lead. "That's an order."

"Legate Brunelli!" The guards sheathed their swords and saluted her. "What's all this?"

"Never mind that. We are here on official business. Emperor's orders. Let us pass."

The two men surveyed every one of us standing at the front of the group. They took an especially long look at me. Then, they glanced at Ulfric, and their gazes turned uneasy. Their hands reached for their swords again, a nervous glint in their dark eyes.

Marina cleared her throat. "Was I unclear? Move!"

The two, scared to disobey, scurried aside and let us pass.

We tied our horses to the posts outside the stables, where I handed the stablehands a large purse of money to take care of them. Everyone we met stared at us, too shocked to speak. Perhaps they could not believe that the great fugitive Ulfric Stormcloak was knocking on Windhelm's front door, and he was accompanied by the leader of Skyrim's Imperial forces.