Chapter Nineteen

I awoke long before dawn, long before we were to march. I knew I would never get back to sleep, so I tossed aside my covers and slipped into my boots. The wolfskin tickled my calves as I shoved my feet into the supple leather. Then, grabbing my wolfskin cloak, I stepped out of my tent and into the chilly air.

The fires had long since burned down to ashes, and all around the camp rose up the quiet snores and heavy breathing of slumbering soldiers. I tiptoed around the tents and headed for the edge of our encampment. I had to find a quiet place to clear my mind.

When I reached the outskirts of the camp, I discovered I was not the only one who could not sleep. The solider who first started the singing—I did not even know his name—sat on a stump, back to me and eyes on the slowly brightening horizon. He turned when I snapped a twig under my foot.

"Sorry," I said, crouching down next to him. He started to stand up and offer me the stump, but I waved him off and sat down on the ground. "Can't sleep either, huh?"

He shook his head. "I never can sleep before battles. The others think it's strange I don't drown myself in ale until I pass out, but drinking before a fight never bodes well."

"I never got your name earlier."

"Farister Littleley."

My brow knitted together. "How does a Nord like yourself end up with a Breton name?"

"My parents were killed by the Thalmor when I was just a baby. This was before the Great War, but the Dominion was still out in force, especially in Haafingar, where I was born. They killed my parents and burned the house to the ground. By some miracle, they didn't find me in my cradle, so when a Breton family coming from High Rock saw the house and heard my cries, they were able to rush in and save me. They adopted me and gave me a Breton name."

"I'm sorry."

"That's why I fought for the Stormcloaks, and why I fight for you now. Those... damn elves took everything from me, and that wasn't enough for them." Farister tore his gaze from the horizon and turned to me. "They took everything from you, too, so I hear."

I nodded. "Fifteen years ago, almost."

"How did you find the courage to keep living?"

Gaze lowered to the ground, I gave a half-hearted shrug. "I couldn't let my parents' sacrifice be in vain. They died so I could live. It's not my right to decide when I die. That belongs to the gods."

"Are you afraid of death?"

"No. I've died before. I saw the glory of Sovngarde, and I readily await the day I leave this world and join my parents in that beautiful place."

He sat silent for a while, a brooding look on his face. "For a moment, I thought you said you'd died before."

"I did say that."

"How...?"

I looked up and saw the shocked look Fairster had on his face. I fought off a smile and said, "After the battle, I'll tell you everything. For now..." Groaning, I got to my feet and shook the dust off my cloak, "we have a fight to prepare for."

-------

Surrounded by my most trusted soldiers, I watched as Thalmor after Thalmor fell off the wall, picked off by Logen and Seredia. I was amazed that we had only needed two archers to eliminate the guards overseeing the gate. I was even more amazed that the rest of the Thalmor had yet to raise the alarm. Amazed, but relieved.

I turned to address the other men and women behind me. They were already split into their groups, with each of their leaders standing at the front, with the exception of the group I was to lead, for they stood beside me. "Remember, we're going in quietly," I whispered as the last guard fell. "Take out the guards watching over the prisoners first, then arm and free our brothers and sisters. Once we have enough of them freed, we'll let the Thalmor know we're here."