Perfection.

You and Caspar walked back with a smile on your face. Emmeline looked like a little girl; the excitement in her voice was the last thing you heard before you left her room. You got back to the house where Emily and Theodora were enjoying a glass of wine in the front garden. “Oh, Caspar, there’s another bottle in the kitchen for you both, just don’t drink too much…” she said with a wink. Caspar pulled you inside towards the kitchen, where he picked you up and placed you on the counter. He turned around and got two small glasses out. Out of a tiny cupboard in the corner, he retrieved a big black bottle of Baileys. He looked at you with that smirk. “I know it’s your favourite” he winked. You smiled somewhat shyly and giggled.

He walked over to you, your faces were only a few inches apart, and he poured a small amount of Baileys into the glasses. He set them down next to you and leaned his hands on the counter, either side of your legs. He then leaned into you properly, rubbing his nose against yours.  He kissed you tenderly on the nose before turning his attention to your own blushing lips. Your lips fused together like a chemical reaction. The moment was perfect. You had known Caspar for just a few months, nothing official had ever happened. As far as the universe was concerned, you might as well be just acquaintances.

Caspar broke the kiss and passed you a glass.  He led you over to the living room and put TV on. He leaned into the arm rest and pulled you into him. The day had been amazing. Just after you finished your drink, you leaned your head back on Caspar’s shoulder. It had been a long day none the less and you were exhausted. The TV was blurring out of your sight and any audible sound was becoming less and less so. The last thing you remembered as you drifted out of consciousness was Caspar’s strong arms wrapping around you and lifting you up.

You woke up with the sun rays spilling in through the window in Caspar’s bedroom. You looked around the room to find Caspar wrapped in blankets on the floor, sleeping on a roll mat. Your heart pounded with guilt once again as you looked upon his restless face. Caspar stirred for a few minutes before waking up and smiling at you. It didn’t take a moment’s hesitation to realise what you were thinking. “I just wanted to make sure you were settling in, tonight I’ll sleep on the couch so don’t look so down” he said, unbelievably positively.

You shook your head quite simply. “No” you protested. He looked at you with a confused expression on his face. “No,” you repeated, “You can sleep in the bed” he shook his head profusely and tried to say something, which you interrupted before he could get anything out. “You can sleep in the bed…with me” you added. Caspar looked stunned; as if that was the last thing he expected to hear from you. “Are you sure?” he questioned. You nodded simply, swinging your legs over the edge of the bed. “Yep. I’m not having you making me feel guilty night after night.” You reiterated. Before you could stop yourself, something you were determined not to let out spilled off the tip of your tongue.

“Caspar, where are we?” you clasped your hands over your mouth, regretting that slipping between your lips. He stepped back a little, not really understanding the question. “I’m sorry?” he replied. You took a deep breath. There was no point going back on yourself now, the question was already in the air. “Where are we going with this, with us?” you finished, your eyes shut tight.  In a moment, you felt Caspar in front of you, his finger under your chin, lifting up your head. You opened your eyes just to stare into the deep blue pools before you.

“We’re in South Africa together. We’re practically living together. We’re best friends. We’re more than what you had with Ben, or anyone else for that matter.” He spoke in soft words before leaning in even closer and whispering in your ear. “We’re perfect.