{Chapter} 21

{Chapter 21}

Toni fidgeted next to Erik on the church pew the next morning. She wasn’t comfortable in the house of God, and felt more like a hindrance than a help. The service hadn’t started yet, but people were filing in the church like the floodgates had opened. The room was packed by the time the pianist began to play a tune to signal the start of the service in mere moments. Toni wrung her hands and looked over at Erik, who was engaged in a seemingly intelligent conversation with a blonde-headed three-year-old girl sitting in the pew in front of him.

“Who had puppies?” he asked.

“I just told you! Daisy did” the little girl replied.

“Oh, really? How many?”

The little girl held up four fingers.

“Four?”

“No, three, silly!” the little girl crossed her arms, exasperated.

“Oh, I’m sorry. What are their names?” Erik asked, smiling.

“Daddy says we’re gonna name ’em ’this‘,’ that’ and ’the other’. I don’t like those names too much,” the little girl stated as-a-matter-of-factly.

Erik laughed as the service started, and the little girl immediately jerked around and sat down with a thud.

The whole congregation stood as the piano played a hymn that Toni had never heard before.

“Blest be the tie that binds

Out hearts in Christian love.

The fellowship of kindred minds

Is like to that above”

After the song ended, everyone sat back down and the pastor stood up.

“Welcome everyone to our service here on this fine Sunday mornin’ It’s been said that meetin’ in a public place on Sundays isn’t important. I beg to differ with that statement. There’s something about being gathered in God’s house with His children that makes the week worth the livin’”

Several “amens” sounded around the room, and Erik nodded in agreement beside her.

“Before I get into the sermon this morning, I’d like to point out that anyone who has visited here today or any regulars that haven’t accepted Christ as their Savior has a place at this altar. There’s always room at the cross for anyone looking to be saved.”

The sermon went on but Toni didn’t hear a word. There’s always room? Then how come God was always too busy for her? He didn’t even take the time to give her one good living relative. So much for a kind and caring God. Looking at the people around her, she felt another chink in her armor. Their faces were bright and joyful, as if they didn’t have a care in the world. Traces of smiles hung around on their faces as they watched and listened to the preacher. Everyone seemed to have a perfect life in this little town. Even the white storefronts looked perfect with hardly a speck of dust on the porches and crystal clear windows. The church was no different. It had beautiful stained glass windows that sent shafts of color-tainted light into the room, making it comfortable in spite of the humid temperatures with so many bodies in a confined area.

Looking up at Erik, who looked mighty handsome in his Sunday best and perfectly parted hair. His concentrating eyes focused on the preacher and hinged on every encouraging word he said. She rarely saw him without his hat on, and now she was overcome yet again to feel his hair to see how soft it really was. It could drive a woman crazy by just wondering.

Church ended and the sound of dozens of voices filled the air as the piano began to play the exiting song. Everyone started filing out of the doors and before she could escape, Tillie and her daughter, Rosaleen, caught up with them. Toni impulsively grabbed Erik’s hand to steady her nerves and ignored the sizzling jolt she felt when his hand touched hers.