Chapter 8

Click.

I took my glasses off and rubbed my eyes for a minute. Sitting at the computer screen for over an hour was killing my eyesight. I hadn't been on a computer in months, so my eyes became sensitive to it. I sighed tiredly. I couldn't find anything on what I was looking for. No news on what was happening at the White House. No news on Loki. Just random threats around the country. Riots, murders, gang wars. The usual. It was hard to think that such terrible things could even be the usual. My heart ached at the thought of it. And to make it worse, there were even more horrible things out there. Human trafficking. Bombings. War. I hated it. Hated it all. All these news articles just made me dread going back to the normal life; the life where I looked for jobs to do and help people in need. So much to do. So little time. I couldn't save everyone.

I put my black framed glasses back on and resumed my pursuit. I cleared the search bar and typed in Recent crimes in New York. Numerous files came up. The same news headers about the Avengers being terrorists, vigilantes with a good cause, psychopaths who think they can fix the world, and more flashed on the screen. I rolled my eyes. This had nothing to do with New York. I guess since our headquarters is in New York, they decided to post the headlines. I scrolled down further and found interesting stuff. The Black Mask Bombs Russian Buildings, and a later article with the headline Daredevil Collars Fisk. I raised an eyebrow. Hell's Kitchen...huh. I thought.

"What are you looking at?"

I jumped at the sound of Steve's voice behind me. I turned around and pushed his chest playfully, but he didn't move an inch. "You scared me! Are you trying to give me a heart attack? I mean, out of the two of us, I thought you would be the first to have one."

"That wasn't my intention," he chuckled and sat down on the bed. "Way to go for adding that age joke in there, except it really wasn't funny."

I shrugged and closed the tabs on the computer before signing off. "I always have to try." My feet tapped on the ground and twirled the chair around to face him. We've only been here for a few days and now he's hanging out in my room? Something must have been bothering him. "What's up?"

"Our wanted level. That's what's up." Steve ran his hand through his hair repeatedly. His eyes ran around the walls and the floor before locking onto me. His lip twitched to say something, but he stopped and knit his eyebrows together.

"Steve?" Worry began to flow through my system. Does he know something I don't? I shifted in my seat and tilted my head a bit. "What's on your mind?"

He rubbed his chin slowly in thought. "I've been trying to think about a plan to keep everyone safe. Where do we go after this? What do we do? Can the American government get us from here? Will the Canadians turn us in? Do we even have a place to go? We have some of Stark's money from his vault, but how far can we really get before getting caught? How..."

I stopped him and put one hand on his knee. "Steve. One thing at a time. Don't overload yourself with so many questions. The government shouldn't be able to get us from here, but the Canadians can surely turn us in if they wanted to. The plan is to have each others' backs. And for the next place we go..." I trailed off.

"We have nothing." He scoffed and looked at the ground. "No where to go. No where to turn. All of our homes have been made public, or at least known to the government. If we go there, they'll catch us again. I asked the rest of the group. No one else has an unknown safe house."

A light bulb lit up inside of my head and I quickly added, "My professor has a safe house up here in Canada. We could go there if we need to."

Steve scrunched his eyebrows together in concern. He slightly cocked his head to the left and questioned, "Isn't that putting them in danger?"