Chapter 12

Darkness enveloped the room and the only light visible was the faint lighting in the hallway. I curled up into a ball in my cocoon of blankets on my bed and got comfortable. Something bothered me and wouldn't let me fall asleep. How did S.H.I.E.L.D. know we were at Tony's place? How did they know where to look? Thoughts sped through my mind and I couldn't slow them down.

A dark figure lurked passed the door and down the other end of the hall. I got out of bed, grabbed my shoes, and followed them. If it was Peter or Clint, I could talk to them about me being bothered. I didn't want to wake up Steve, especially since he hadn't been getting a lot of rest lately. The figure walked out of the passageway leading upstairs and closed it behind them.

Odd...The thought drifted across my mind and faded away. I used a pink portal to get out to not draw any suspicion. None of us would have closed the passageway. That's too weird, especially since they could forget the pass code and be locked out. It was one in the morning. What could they be doing up?

The figure opened the door, and that's when I realized it was Ira sneaking out. She threw on a black jacket and walked out onto the fresh snow, closing the door behind her. I trailed far behind her, trying not to attract any attention. This is going to be cold... I put my shoes on as fast as I could before I stepped out onto the white blanket of snow. I pulled my sweatshirt closer to my body to maintain warmth and refrained from sniffing from my nose. The cold nipped at it and irritated it, causing it to turn red.

The snow crunched with every step Ira took as she headed towards her destination. New Year's fireworks boomed in the distance, making her more jumpy than usual. She stopped when she saw a shadow in the distance, but as it got closer, she realized it was only a fox. She stayed in place for a second, narrowing her eyes and watched defensively until it walked the other way. Ira shook her head and continued on her plan. I hid behind a tree in the distance, but when she got to her destination, I snuck closer to inspect the scene.

She strolled into a small open area. White snow glistened in the moonlight as it covered the floor and the leaves in the trees around her. An owl made noises in the distance, but everything else was silent. She rubbed her hands together and huffed when she noticed she could see her own breath. Her eyes glanced around as if she were looking for someone. Ira grinned from ear-to-ear, showing her white teeth when she caught sight of him.

Loki.

Ira walked towards him quickly, each footstep longer than the last. Loki turned around upon hearing the noise and smirked slyly when he saw her. His blue eyes squinted, taking in every inch of her in admiration. His thin black hair seemed frosted into place by gel, sweat, or the cold. His pale skin radiated in the moonlight and revealed the sweat dripping down his forehead.

Sweat in this cold weather? He looks like a drug addict that needs a fix... I thought and hid behind a tree. Anger flashed through my mind, but I brought it down to a simmer. I needed a clear mind right now. Getting caught over doing something stupid would ruin everything. I've already gotten this far.

"I've missed you," Ira purred in content. She ran her fingers down his black and green coat and looked up at him.

Loki dismissed her comment and changed the subject, "How is your mission going? Any progress?"

Ira snorted, "My job couldn't be any easier. Finding their weaknesses was a breeze, although I do have to put up with their annoying qualities too." Ira crossed her arms and continued, "Clint is a slob in love with a female brute. Natasha calls herself a master assassin, yet she's oblivious to what side I'm on. Steve is a patriotic little shit. He thinks he knows everything and tries to do good, but he's still overcome by his past. Bruce is a hothead who can't keep his cool. He's a genius, but he doesn't really contribute to the team. Tony is selfish, however, he really does care about the team even if he doesn't show it often. That's his weakness. Peter is childish and he loves his dear cousin Lilly too much. And Lilly..." She trails off for a second and laughed, "she's an emotional walking time bomb that can be set off once we kill some members of the group."