Chapter 16

AN: This chapter is dedicated to @littlethormaid11 for being so supportive! :)

Tiny rocks stumbled down the debris pile, clinking anytime it hit metal. The dust finally settled and everything calmed down. My ears still rang to the point where I couldn't hear my own breathing, but it slowly died down as I regained consciousness. My fingers twitched and I opened my hazel eyes, which felt heavy like lead.

I tried to move my legs and couldn't. They were pinned underneath the rubble. I couldn't feel them at all, and a fear of panic swept through me. Blood started to seep through the rocks and soak into my pants, creating a small puddle.

I tried to sit up and winced from all of my injuries. My head spun from the lack of energy; using all of that power to keep everything intact around us drained me. I felt off balance, so I reached up to my ear to check it. The earpiece was still in my ear. God damnit.... I thought and pulled at the piece of technology. It had melted onto my ear, stripping the top layer of my skin off as I ripped it out. I choked down the cry of pain and looked over to see if Barton was okay.

Clint curled up into the fetal position as much as he could and his head rested against the desk. The ends of his brown hair were singed, and his red skin showed against the glow of the shield. His breathing became shallow, and his eyes moved behind his closed eyelids.

An agonizing bolt of pain surged up my side and I gasped for air. My eyes wandered down to my stomach, finding a thick metal rod sticking out of my skin. I set my hands on the rod and prepped myself before I yanked it out. A scream snuck passed my lips and I threw it aside. Blood rose and started to drench my clothing, getting all over my hands when I tried to cover it up.

Clint stirred in his spot and lifted his head. He groaned as he tore his skin off of the side of the metal desk. The whole left side of his cheek was burned and meshed together in a weird formation. He turned his hearing aid back on and put it back into his ear. He moved his hand from my side, his eyes widening in surprise. "We're alive?" Clint touched the blood on accident and rubbed it between his fingers before he realized what it was. "Are you okay?"

"As good as I'm going to get," I cringed.

He lifted his head a bit to get a better view of the situation. "Your legs are crushed. That doesn't seem good to me."

"It doesn't matter," I quickly dismissed his comment and changed the subject. "We need a plan." I pressed my hands harder against my wound, waiting for my powers to heal my body. I used so much power that it might not even work.

Clint watched me wearily. "There are sewers that lead to the outside of the apartment. We can go through there. It'll take a bit though. Think you can make it?"

I nodded tiredly and huffed. "I'll be fine. I'll use my powers so we can get out of this, but I'm going to be weaker than I am now. I used a lot to keep that desk from behind crushed. My legs won't heal as quickly, so you're going to have to carry me out."

"Alright. Fair enough." He hesitated for a second before asking, "You'll have my back though, right?"

"Of course," I exhaled, biting the inside of my cheek to keep from crying out in agony. The pain only worsened and sprung through to my other side. My head stung and I shook off the dizziness. "I'll...I'll try. I don't know how to use your bow, though."

"Remind me to teach you one day after we make it out of this alive," he replied with a small smile. He patted my arm and ripped a part of his shirt off. He used it as a tourniquet around my wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding.

I moved the desk over and let Barton have some room to stretch.  My cell phone rang and my hands fidgeted with my clothes until I could get to it. How did this survive? Seriously? What the hell did the tech group at the school make this phone out of? I thought and answered it. "Hello?"