Chapter 14

"So what are we going to do? Sit here and wait while Loki and his damn mistress try to take over the world?" Tony questioned, leaning against the wall of the living room while looking over at all of us. His short brown hair appeared fluffy and his dark brown eyes didn't lock onto anything in particular. "Jarvis is tracking them right now while I charge my suit. We have time to think."

Bruce left the room at the mention of Ira's name. He couldn't handle it right now. "Our plan should be attacking," Natasha brought up. She played with the wine glass in her hand and drank the rest of her drink.

"We should be telling the government," Peter added sternly. He plopped down on the couch and played with his hands agitatedly.

Clint set Ira's notebook down. The whole thing was written in her language and there was no way in Hell he could translate it. He rubbed his temples. "Telling the government would only make things worse. They would twist it and make us seem like the bad guys here."

"We're getting nowhere if we don't act now," she responded rapidly, not missing a beat. She brushed her blonde hair behind her ear and watched us.

Steve set his hand on my knee and looked at me. He could see my stress. His blue eyes wandered away and spoke up, "Barton is right. We don't even know where they are."

"When we find them, we can make our way there and attack. Until then, we need to know what to do now," I contributed and put my hand on Steve's. His fingers were cold against my warm hand. I pushed my glasses up my nose and found Natasha raising an eyebrow at me.

Tony picked his drink off of the coffee table and took a sip. He started laughing quietly, then louder and louder each second. The group sent him questioning looks and he wiped his mouth. "We shouldn't have trusted her. Since when do we trust anyone?"

"We trust new people. It's who we are," Steve countered. His body tensed up and his eyes locked onto Tony. His lips formed a tight line.

"Maybe that's what we need to change. Put up a front so people that come and lie to us are stuck at the gates," Natasha declared in a solemn tone. She played with the arrow necklace she had on and bit the inside of her cheek.

I scoffed. "That's who we're going to be? Heartless heroes who don't give everyone a fair chance?"

"Oh god," Peter dragged his hands down his face and sighed. "Here we go."

Before anyone could say anything else, Clint threw his hands up in the air. "Well, we all need a break. Anyone up for food? A movie? Something?" Everyone remained silent and he shrugged. "We need to relax. Take the stress off."

"Clint, always thinking of food," Peter laughed and headed towards the door. He licked his lips, "I'm down for that. It sounds good."

Barton rolled his eyes. "I'm trying to take care of my friends, all right? I can be serious, Peter." He put his hand on Peter's back and walked out of the room. All of us glanced at each other before following them out.

Blink.

Why did things have to be so complicated?

Blink.

We thought we were on the right track, and look where we ended up. We're vigilantes working to help a country that doesn't want to be saved.

Blink.

I stared at the blinking light on the computer, which was the only thing I could see. My door was closed, trapping the room in a heavy darkness. I moved around my bed, unable to get comfortable. My mind reeled with disappointment and confusion. She betrayed us. All of us. Ira knows our weaknesses, the X-Men's safe house, and about Bruce's girlfriend.