Chapter 19

Loki's destruction ended up worse than I expected.

The White House wasn't so white anymore. Blood dyed the walls and dried underneath the sun. Smoke and ash settled on half of the gigantic building, right where the two helicopters crashed into it. The helicopter blades and deformed metal stuck out between the rubble, showing off how far Loki's destruction had come. No bodies were in sight, so he must have had them moved to a different location. Bullet holes impacted everything, revealing the failed efforts of the Secret Service. The sun hadn't fully risen yet, so the lights on the White House brightened up the disaster.

Loki and Ira sat on a blanket in the middle of the White House front lawn, lost in their own little world. Cups of tea were held up by a small metal tray, accompanied by a batch of sweets. Ira fed Loki a couple pieces of chocolate covered strawberries, but Loki didn't seem too happy. He brooded and his eyebrow twitched as if he were waiting for something to happen. Ira didn't think much of it and waited for him to feed her something, her gray eyes staring at him dreamily. She started up a conversation, thinking it would get him more involved, "Did you see the look on the President's face?"

He chuckled darkly, his mouth twisting up into a wicked smile, "Yes, the terror, the fear...It was exhilarating. The whole world watched as we tore apart America's political system." His blue eyes glimpsed at Ira, but quickly went back to staring off into space to think.

"You in position?" I questioned into the earpiece, looking through night vision binoculars at the U.S. Department of Treasury building on the other side of the White House. Hawkeye moved around next to me to try to get into a better position. He perched on the edge of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building's roof and watched the gang below as they made their way to the duo of darkness, observing the environment.

Peter sunk low on the roof of the building, his arms draped over the edge lazily. He scoffed and waved his arms around for a second. "If you can't see the bright red and blue suit, there's something wrong with you, Lilly."

I almost replied until the group moved forward below. Steve, Tony, Natasha, and Bruce walked up to Ira and Loki hesitantly, watching their every move. Ira looked over their way and laughed, "Gaze upon of which the furry feline has brought to us!"

"What?" Peter snorted into comms.

Clint chuckled beside me, "Is she trying to be funny?"

"I'm gonna tell her she isn't funny," my cousin replied quickly. He cupped his hands around his mouth, ready to yell it out.

"Quiet down, you two," I shushed them and focused on the scene.

Loki rolled his eyes and almost wanted to glare at her in shame. He focused his glare on the Avengers and snarled, "Ah, the Avengers finally coming around? Took you longer than I expected. Are you here to kneel to your new king?"

"No one is going to kneel to you. This is a free country, not some fear driven, tyrannical place," Steve replied sternly. He held his shield closer to his body and stood ahead of the Avengers triumphantly. Bruce hung back awkwardly, not wanting to get into a fight. Iron Man stood on Cap's right, while Black Widow glared at the villains on his left.

Ira got up and scoffed, "Shut up, Captain Small Ass." She crossed her arms and stood defensively. Loki grabbed his scepter from his side and used it to help him up, his eyes glowing a more intense blue than usual.

"Savage," Peter whispered, leading me to roll my eyes at his comment.

Natasha checked Steve out and made a face of approval. She curled her fingers into a fist, leaving her thumb and pinky sticking straight out, and brought her hand up to her chin. Wrong. She signed, giving her opinion on Ira's short handed insult. Steve shot a confused Are-You-Serious expression at her.