Chapter 12 - Shocking news

I was stunned at his story. I guess my vision didn't go as far as this timeline. I was happy nonetheless that he was alive and I hugged him once more. He was the last surviving piece of the time I spent with Bucky and I'd be damned if I ever let him go now.

"I'm so glad you're here!" I whispered as tears began to fall again. I felt his arms embrace me back.

***

"I guess I'll be taking my leave then," said Gabriel but everyone ignored him much to his frustration. He left nonetheless. Both Sam and Dean left as well. They could tell Lily needed some privacy with Steve.

"How was he?" she asked after a while. Steve immediately knew about whom she was asking. He swallowed hard.

"He tried to hide the fact he was depressed after you'd left but I knew better. He focused all his energy in the fight and he fought valiantly. He died soon after, on the mission. He...fell from the train trying to protect me, but the last thing he said to me before he fell was 'Find her, if you can, and tell her I loved her'.

Lily's sobs grew in intensity and he felt his own heart break at the tragic thought. He held her tighter for he knew very well what it was like to lose someone you loved.

***

"It was really great to see you again, Steve," said Lily with a soft smile. He'd stayed there for about five hours telling her about after he'd been brought back.

"Make sure you stay in touch and please, don't tell anyone about us," she pleaded. He nodded.

"You have nothing to worry about. You too...call me every once in a while, check in, let me know how you're doing," he replied giving her one last hug and a peck on her forehead.

"I will," she said with a nod. Sam then drove him back to his apartment while Dean and Lily continued their research on the current case.

"Hey, take good care of her," Steve told Sam before he got out of the car.

"We always do," he reassured. Sam waved Steve off and drove back to the motel.

***

A few days later we finally solved the case. It was definitely a demon. It had possessed the security guard at the therapist's office building. It was choosing the ones with irrational fears only and offering them a cure for their soul. However, it never told them how long they had until it would come back for them. Kind of like a crossroads demon but a cheating one. Crowley found out about it and took care of the demon himself. Something about not tolerating rule-breaking demons, he'd said. Well, anyway, we were definitely glad that one was over and done with.

We moved onto the next case, and the next until one morning, about four months later, I got a call.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Lily! This is Steve," said the voice. I smiled.

"Hey Steve, how's things?" I asked.

"Fine for now, but I need to talk to you. Where are you?" I frowned. This must be serious.

"I'm in Michigan...where are you?"

"I'm currently in Ohio, can I meet you there?"

"Uh, yeah sure," I replied before giving him the accurate address.

"Okay, I'll be there in about five or so hours. See you soon." He hung up and I was left wondering what the hell was going on.

"Who was that?" asked Sam.

"Steve...he said he's on his way here...needs to talk to me. Sounded urgent."

"Huh...I hope it's nothing bad..."

"Yeah, me too," I replied.

The hours rolled by slowly but finally I heard a knock at the door. I flew to the door and opened it.

"Steve!" I said with a smile as I leapt into his arms.

"It's really good to see a familiar face," he whispered.

"Come in...who's this?" There was another man with him. They both came in and Steve introduced us.

"This is Sam Wilson. Sam, these are Lily, Sam and Dean." The man shook our hands.

"He's helped me in a recent mission we had. It's sort of over for now but not completely," he started.

"What did you drive all this way to tell me, Steve?" I asked.

"Have you heard about the Winter Soldier?" he asked, his jaw clenching slightly. I nodded.

"It's been all over the news...it's kinda hard to miss, why?" I watched as Steve took a deep breath. He hesitated before he spoke.

"It's Bucky..." I frowned at him and felt my heart miss a beat.

***

to be continued...