Chapter 13 - Reunion

"What do you mean?" He simply took out some files and handed them over to me. I took the files and opened them. I saw Bucky's picture from 1942 and another one from more recently. I gasped and looked at the words. The files were in Russian but that was never an obstacle for me. I splayed my fingers on top of the file and the Russian words changed to English ones.

"Woah! What was that?" asked Sam Wilson slightly taken aback.

"She just changed the language," explained Dean. Sam was about to ask something else but Steve shushed him. A few minutes of looking through the file passed by very slowly before I raised my gaze and let out a breath.

"He's alive?" I whispered as I looked at Steve, "But I saw him die..."

"What do you mean you saw him die?" he asked.

"Remember the night I met you and my demeanour changed suddenly?"

"Yeah..."

"I had a vision and I saw him fall off the train and you falling into the ocean," I explained.

"What are you some kind of superhero like Steve?" piped up Sam Wilson. We all looked at him and I let out a small laugh.

"Not exactly, I'm not a mutant either if that's what you're implying," I said with a smile.

"I'll explain later," said Steve, "But Lily...I was wondering if you could maybe help me find him. He saved my life so I know he's still in there somewhere, but he's on the run, understandably..."

I looked at Steve and my heart fluttered. My hand flew to it and that's when I started to wonder how I hadn't noticed it before. My heart had been reacting to Bucky's presence but I had ignored it because I thought him dead.

"What's the matter?" asked Dean.

"I can feel him," I said quietly, "Give me a map!" Sam (Winchester) quickly handed me a map and I hovered my hand over it.

"There you are," I whispered, "He's in Washington but I don't think he'll be there for long."

"Great...by the time we get there, he'll be gone," said Steve with a groan.

"Not necessarily...Cas!" We heard the familiar flutter of wings and turned around to see Castiel there.

"What do you need?" he asked in his usual stoic tone.

"We need to get to Washington, the Smithsonian to be precise," I replied.

"Are you all going?" I looked at the brothers and they nodded.

"Very well," he said and he sent us all to the Smithsonian.

"What the hell was that? Who was that guy?" heaved Sam (Wilson).

"Our angel friend," replied Dean with a tired grin.

"Come on, he's inside," I told Steve as I started running towards the building. The others all followed. When we got to the war exhibition, I asked them to hang further back. I caught my breath and started walking around slowly, feeling his pull. It pulled me towards his display, of course... He was trying to remember who he was. I saw a man with a baseball cap and a jacket with the collar pulled up. That had to be him... It took all of the strength I had not to run to him and take him into my arms where he belonged. I took a deep breath and I neared the display, all the time, my heart beating faster and faster as I got closer.

I decided to replay what had happened between Steve and me when I was there last. I stepped up to the display. I didn't have to pretend to cry for I couldn't help the tears falling when I knew he was right behind me. I let my hand run over his features and whispered his name.

***

Bucky couldn't deny that the face on the display was his but he still couldn't remember anything. It was really hard for him when all he knew was working for Hydra and nearly killing someone whose face reminded him of something from very long ago. He still couldn't place it but he couldn't bear to kill Captain America. He read the information on the glass but it didn't make any sense to him.

He was distracted suddenly by a young woman who had stepped up to the screen which displayed his face. He frowned in confusion as he watched her run her hand gently over the image of his face. Did she know him? He wanted to run but he couldn't make himself move. He watched her turn around and wipe tears from her face before she caught sight of him. She stood there staring at him as if she'd just seen a ghost. She knew him and she recognised him. He became scared though and he decided to run. She could be from Hydra and he didn't want to go back to them.

"Bucky wait!" he heard her yell as he took off. She called him Bucky, just as Captain America had. He wanted to stop and ask her how she knew him but he couldn't risk it so he continued to run.

***

"Damn you Bucky!" I growled in frustration as I took off after him. I quickly phoned Dean to tell him what had happened and that I was gonna go follow him. I told him that they should wait for me...it wouldn't take long for me to catch up to him. He had looked so different but still the same, except now he had been broken.

***

Bucky walked quickly as far away as possible and found himself in a secluded alley. He didn't relax fully though. He looked round the corner to see whether anyone was following him and was startled out of his skin when someone tapped him on the shoulder. He instinctively grabbed whoever it was by the neck and pushed them forcefully against the wall. It was the girl. He narrowed his eyes at her.

"Why are you following me? Who are you?" he demanded in a low voice. Instead she kicked him in the stomach and pushed him off her, sending him stumbling back into the opposite wall.

"Jeez, you don't have to be so aggressive. I'll tell you everything, I promise," she replied with a slightly pissed off look on her face and her arms crossed.

"Then tell me!" he growled out.

"First things first, I'm not with Hydra...God, I feel like I'm repeating a conversation from long ago here," she muttered.

"Why should I believe you?" he asked with narrowed eyes. She looked at him and nodded.

"Yep...definitely déjà vu! I can help you remember everything," she offered, "Steve, Captain America, asked me to help find you."

"Why would he want to do that?" He watched her tilt her head slightly to the side and soften her eyes.

"Because you're his best friend, and he's...we've missed you like crazy..." she told him. He watched her warily. He didn't know whether to believe her or not but she seemed genuine enough.

"You...know me?" he asked. She nodded and he watched as another tear slipped from her eye.

"I'm sorry..." she whispered. He thought about what she'd told him.

***

to be continued...