Chapter 10

(Unedited, 2nd draft)

Chapter 10

As I walked back to the trail up to Grandma's house; I couldn't get the image of Peter bloody body out of my head, the way his cheek had been swollen up under his right eye, with the gash across his forehead with blood dripping out of it covering his face. What had Peter founded out to be attacked with such violence?

Plus, I couldn't shake what Victor had said about changing him, but into what? Victor had been acting a little off today what he had pulled me into the alleyway, but seeing his just now just add to his odd behavior. Even though he seemed to upfront and honest with me, I was starting to suspect there was more to him than what he had told me. Hopefully, Grandma would be able to answer this new question what had surfaced in the past few moments.

Once grandma's house came into view a loud scream echoed through the woods causing the birds to scatter out of the trees into the dark scarlet moon sky. Stopping I watch them fly away as my eye caught the reddish colored moon. Tonight was the first night of three of the blood moon, but the lady of the lake had talked about the Lovers Moon. He said all would be reviled the night of the Lovers Moon, which was identical to the night of the Blood Moon Sacrifice, could they really be one and the same. Could I be the key to the Beast undoing?

"Laiya, there you are what took you so long?" I heard my grandmother's voice, but this time it sounded strong and young not old and wore out like it had been most of my life. Gazing upon her, I notice she stood on her porch with a rifle in her hands the same one she held during the last Blood Moon, but she had a different appearance about her than she normally did, which made me ponder even more about the secrets my family was hiding. "Get inside, it's not safe when the Blood Moon in about.

Taking in the cold night air I step up onto the porch, has she walked back through the door, "Did you hear the scream just now?" I question, hoping it wasn't Victor or Carter causing Peter in more pain.

"Yes, that's why I came out here hoping it was you," she spoke still in a clear, calm voice, "When I saw you standing there, you seem to be a million miles away staring up at the god-awful moon."

"Grandma, have you ever heard of it being called the Lovers Moon before," I asked, thinking there was no better time than now to get the answers I seek. That was why I am here tonight to find out what it was my family had been hiding from me all my life.

She twisted around to face me as I still stood inside the doorway has she narrowed her bright blue eyes at me, that oddly she appeared younger with fewer wrinkles. "Where did you hear such a name?" she questioned back and I could tell by her tone that she had and wasn't pleased to know I was aware of it.

"I read it in a book a long time ago, but I want to wait to ask you about it until now." I lied, not knowing what she would think if she knew that Victor, and I had been down at the pond last night and was visited by a spirit claiming to be a messenger of the Moon Goddess.

She turned to face the fire before looking back at me, "There is no easy way about telling you about our family history, but I knew you were about to be of age as soon as the moon is at its fullest tonight." She then turns away from me and went to sit in one of the chairs by the fire, "Come child and sit, it's going to be a long night."

Walking over I sat in the chair opposite of her and could see her hair had black strands in it, but the solid white color it normally was. "Grandma, are you alright?" I felt the need to ask as it appeared, she was fluctuating into a younger person before my very eyes.