Chapter 3

"But I still don't understand why Special Branch is investigating a hit and run case?!!" exclaimed Vedant. Pictures of former national leaders who fought for the welfare of the country covered the wooden wall in front of him. The Commissioner's office was a decorated museum of national monuments and leaders. The table held the Sarnath Pillar and Qutab Minar on two corners of the long table. The absence of fresh air and the chillness of the air-condition hitting his face caused an unusual breathlessness resulting in more anger. Though he had persuaded his team to follow up the case, deep down he was furious with the way his team had been thrust with this case. "We already have a huge backlog of cases which include kidnappings, murders, rapes and burglary. A hit and run among this??" He stood breathing heavily, controlling his temper. Though proud of his patience, he could never tolerate unfairness and injustice.

"Please sit down Ved!" said the Commissioner, Jayant Rathore. He and Vedant had come a long way together in their career and understood each other very well. He clearly knew Vedant would be disappointed. Vedant took the seat on the other side of the table. He wiped his sweat filled forehead and relaxed himself. "Understand Ved, there are various other factors involved. The victim was in the Army which in itself makes it high profile. The crime rate in our city is really high and adding this case to that makes it even worse! Media has already started poking and it wouldn't be long when this case becomes the talk of the city. I want to show that the police has given top priority to the case by letting the Special Branch deal with it. Everyone knows your team is a very capable team and hence..."

Vedant shook his head in disapproval. "You know I don't work to please others. There are more serious cases..."

"This case is as important as the rest," said Jayant firmly. "There is also a victim here, and a criminal on the run. I want you to find him for me as soon as possible before things go haywire. Got it?"

"Why will things go haywire if the case is a direct hit and run, Jay?" questioned Vedant instantly. "Is there something you aren't telling me?"

The Commissioner stayed silent without breaking eye contact with Vedant. He could see the determination in Vedant's eyes. He knew he wouldn't leave the place without an answer.

"What do you know about the Kiran rape case?" asked Jayant.

"Kiran rape case? Hmmm...," Vedant removed his spectacles and rubbed his eyes trying to recollect the case.

"It's a 5 year old case. 13 year old girl raped and murdered in a deserted lane behind the colony where your victim Veerkaran Singh lived."

"He was involved in this case?" Vedant asked with surprise. "How come the database didn't throw up this detail?"

"Veerkaran didn't want his name to be used anywhere in the case records. So we used an alias. He was one of the prime witnesses. The case went on for more than a year before the judgment was passed in favour of the girl..."

"Who was the convict?"

"Samar Lala! Gangster with huge support from..."

"I know...But all this doesn't make any sense..."

"The guy was out on parole last week," Jayant clarified Vedant's confusion. Vedant sat silently understanding the case might not be as simple as he had expected it to be.

"I want this case closed and the criminal caught as soon as possible. I also want to know if this hit and run is anywhere connected to the Kiran rape case. I don't want the media involved even for the slightest bit."

"Keeping the media away for long would be near to impossible. They might have already made the connection. But I would do my best. I would also need the case file of the rape case..."