Chapter 15

"I murdered him," Samar reiterated with added firmness and hidden frustration.

Ruby and Vikram looked at each other with a slight smile, a mocking smile triggering Samar into an anger mode. Samar closed his eyes trying to control his emotions. He couldn't understand the reason for the smirk. He had just confessed his crime which should actually make things easier for the police officers. Instead of thanking him, they were teasing him.

"Is there a problem?" he asked with clenched jaws, words escaping through the gaps.

Vikram continued smiling at Samar. He couldn't stop himself from admiring the man sitting in front of him. His suspect was repeating history sending the much needed confirmation that the history recorded previously was a fake. The cover up was a reality.

"Nope!" replied Vikram after making Samar wait patiently for an answer. There was a strange jauntiness in his tone which was setting Samar on the edge of breaking his soft front page. "You killed Veerkaran?" Vikram asked again, with a small laugh, making the statement more of a joke.

"You don't believe me?" asked Samar fuming.

"Prove it," Vikram shot back.

"How did you kill Veerkaran?" asked Ruby knowing the answer very well.

"How? Why do you want to find how? I am telling you...I killed him. End of story. Arrest me and put me on trial," Samar spoke with desperation.

"Answer her question," said Vikram with the tone turning a little dangerous. Samar immediately knew he couldn't not mess with the officers. But he was stubborn.

"I told you and I am not changing my statement," Samar crossed his arms and glared at his officers. He wanted to send out the signal that he can't be persuaded.

Vikram realised Samar wasn't an easy target to be broken down. He was stubborn and clear in his mind. He knew what he was uttering and he knew the consequences of his words. He didn't seem to care about the future. Perhaps, his behaviour was keeping in mind of the future.

The initial little fun the officers had vanished. Samar had been successful in making his point. He was serious. If they had to continue their interrogation, they have to arrest him, again, for the specific case. And if they arrest him, he would be eligible for a lawyer which would make things really difficult for the investigation. Samar was well aware of the protocol. He could refuse to answer questions. He wasn't as innocent as they thought him to be. Vikram tilted his head as a sign of asking Ruby to come out. Both the officers excused themselves from the room. Samar looked at them cautiously unable to understand if his confession was bought by them.

Outside the room, Sathish eyed the officers with interest.

"Mr. Sathish! Could you be inside with Samar for the time we are here," requested Vikram politely. Sathish could see it was more than a request. He went inside without a word.

"What's your take?" asked Vikram. He couldn't believe he asked that to Ruby. Though he was completely against her ideologies, he was in need of perspectives.

"It's not rocket science to understand he is hiding something," explained Ruby. "He was comfortable and calm when we started and when we discussed about Veerkaran. He was naturally nervous when we asked for an alibi but he was cooperative. But his sudden transition to arrogance and the confession portrays something entire different...A different character altogether."

"So split personality?"

"No. It's more like a mask he wears deliberately whenever situation arises. It's his protection against something. When he realised something was wrong, something we are yet to know, he pulled out his mask to shield himself from us. That's not innocent behaviour. He is smart and clever."