Chapter 27

Hari Prasad Taneja

Sharp features, tough body, an air of arrogance thrown through the length and breadth of the room- Hariprasad Taneja sat like a king. Dressed in a yellow shirt- his hawk like eyes and unruly hair gave him the perfect look for a villain. He didn't seem least bothered about the trouble he was tangled in. If he was nervous or scared, he had a great talent in hiding it. He looked intermittently at the CCTV camera hanging from the top left corner of the interview room. He even waved his hand at the camera with a sluggish smirk. His mood swung faster than a normal swing. One minute he behaved like a VIP showing off his impatience. The next moment he sat comfortably rubbing his chin. He even hummed songs snapping his fingers in tune.

The team stood outside the room Hariprasad was made to wait. They made deliberate commotion to keep Hariprasad waiting in anticipation. They took their time to settle down. It was 11 am. They had all the reports and papers ready. Vedant had called the Commissioner to inform him that his team had solved the case and had arrested the prime suspect. He told him that they were going to question him, to get him to confess. Even otherwise, they had enough evidence to get him convicted. To his surprise, the Commissioner had informed him that he would be present to witness the questioning.

The Commissioner, Sagar, Heera and Charith sat outside the interview room watching the happenings inside through the monitor. Vedant had taken Ruby along with him inside. He felt she might have a good role to play when compared to others. The rest of the members were indeed taken by surprise when he informed them about his decision. They liked and respected Ruby. She was a part of the team. But she was new to the profession and she wasn't really 'police'. She was majorly a psychologist. But for Vedant, the reason behind his decision was completely different. Apart from the case being the first for Ruby, apart from him wanting to give her first hand experience in facing a menacing suspect, he valued her expertise which he felt was really crucial. Hariprasad was a different kind of a suspect. He was possibly a psychopath looking at the brutal way he had murdered Veerkaran. Vedant might need Ruby to crack him in case Hariprasad didn't budge for his questions. There was no doubt that Hariprasad was behind all the crimes. It was just as a token of formality they were questioning him- to give him his right, to give him a chance to admit and confess to his crimes.

"Where is my lawyer," asked Hariprasad the moment Vedant and Ruby entered the room. Ruby positioned herself perched by the wall, looking straight at Hariprasad. She could see the sudden discomfort in Hariprasad's sitting when he looked at her. Vedant took the chair in front of Hariprasad and sat crossing his legs.

"Which lawyer?" asked Vedant with a forced astonishment.

"I had called my lawyer on the way here. But they are not here yet. L and O group! Call them!" shouted Hariprasad, shocked at the casual and careless attitude of his interrogator.

There was a knock on the door and a senior man entered the room. Squat and stout, he had a jumpy walk to the chair near Hariprasad.

"Jagan Jambhavan," he introduced himself with a wide smile. "People call me JJ. I am here to represent Mr Taneja." He stretched his hand for a handshake which Vedant reciprocated. Sitting down and placing a huge notepad and a shining silver pen beside it, JJ blinked his eyes frequently than normal. "So- why have you arrested my client Mr?" He looked questioning at Vedant.

"Vedant Vashisht," replied the boss. "And no one calls me VV," he added with a pinch of sarcasm.

JJ looked disapprovingly. "Can you prove my client is involved in your cases?" he asked.

"Oh yes I can. That's why he is here," said Vedant placing a huge file on the table squeezing few papers to peep outside. "Shall we start?"

"Before you start, let me state clearly. I have nothing to do with any murder. Why would I murder my neighbour, for God's sake?" asked Hariprasad with a little shaky laugh.