Chapter 7

Vedant closed the collar of his white shirt unconsciously as he looked at the lane which held his victim's house. The colony had a calm atmosphere. Away from the main roads, the silence easily captivated the head of Special Branch. The tall trees around and the birds chirping circling it, accompanied by the slight drizzle left a strange feeling. He felt out of place. He felt peaceful. He observed the numerous cars parked on either side of the lane, with the word ARMY written at the rear windscreen. He turned to look at his partner for the day, Heera. She was dressed in a white kurta and blue jeans with a stole covering her neck. Except for the stole, both of them looked like they were in uniform.

"What do you reckon?" asked Heera looking at the cars. The cars indicated the presence of numerous army officers inside the house, not the best time for interviewing the wife of the deceased.

"Best behaviour!" joked Vedant wiping his glasses, and straightening his hair. Heera grinned, checking herself in the rear view mirror. Locking the police SUV, both the officers made their way to the victim's house, which was flocked with double the number of people she met the previous day. They jumped across the small pools of rain water, trying to save their footwear from waterlogging.

"Any known faces?" asked Heera. Nobody seemed to recognise them and the officers stood helpless. Nobody approached them thinking they had come to offer their respects. Probably they should have come in their police uniforms. The living room was packed with Army officers, mostly former army officers. The atmosphere had an unusual discipline but the air of sadness didn't fade. The officers stood in groups talking to themselves. There was a bigger group of officers who sat in one corner. Vedant looked around, hunting for the right person to send for Mrs. Singh. He saw an officer approaching him. Adjusting his glasses, he walked towards the officer with Heera behind him.

"Looking for someone?" asked the elderly officer.

"Yes Sir! I am Vedant Vashisht. Head, Special Branch. I am investigating Mr Singh's death. Uhmm...Mrs. Singh?" Vedant spoke like a thorough professional.

"She is in her room, exhausted. I hope you understand what she is going through?" Vedant looked at Heera to know if she had any idea what to do. She had already visited the house once and hence it was familiar territory for her. "I am Retired Colonol D Ranjan...Dinesh Ranjan." The two men shook hands. Though retired, Dinesh still carried the energy with him.

"I completely understand, Sir. But it's important we talk to her," explained Vedant his eyes surveying the room casually.

Dinesh waved his hand to get the attention of a lady sitting near the staircase. Noticing Dinesh, the lady walked to them. Dinesh explained the need of the officers to talk to her. The lady asked the officers to wait for a few minutes.

"How long have you known Mr Singh?" asked Vedant wanting to make full use of his waiting time.

"Around 30 years. Veer and I were together in a camp in 1983. Very brave and principled man," said Dinesh.

"Are...Were you both close?" asked Vedant awkwardly.

"Kind off. We didn't speak to each other every day. But we were in constant contact with each other."

"Why did he retire?" asked Heera.

"He was forced too on medical grounds. He was injured during a breakout and fractured his leg very badly. He was in bed for almost 6 months. Doctors informed that he would always have a limp. Poor guy. He was just promoted as Major General the previous month."

"So the army..." started Vedant.

"No! Even before any decision was taken, Veer decided to quit. He felt he was a damaged product and should be thrown out. He believed he was no use to the country anymore. He wasn't completely wrong too. He could have never done what he wanted to if he had continued his service."