Chapter 23

"Are we getting Rajesh's case also?" asked Agastya.

"We have to. He is directly connected to our case," said Ruby.

Vedant shook his head. "No. I have requested the Commissioner not to send the case to us. We have our hands full and we don't have time for a new case."

"But Sir. Rajesh's murder could be a part of a cover up. If we find who is behind that, we can find our killer," reasoned Ruby.

Vedant sighed. "We don't have Rajesh's body for a post-mortem as our dear Raj Kapoor cremated him. On what basis would you begin your enquiry? Where will you start? We have to track down Rajesh's last known whereabouts which we have already done and it led us nowhere. We have no potential lead to take the case forward. In turn, if we concentrate on what we already have, probably we might end up solving Rajesh's murder also."

Silence filled the squad room, a silence which jumped in edginess, a dangerous silence. The deadline tightening around the team was driving them to erect senseless theories and make erratic decisions. They were faced with new murders instead of new evidence. Frustration which was deliberately and strongly locked and kept barred from the squad room, was slowly seeping its way inside. Vedant could feel the frustration himself and he knew he couldn't bound to get vexed. His team watched every movement of his and many a times followed him blindly with complete confidence.

"Guys! Let's not get carried away by our agitated craving for a major breakthrough. Now is the critical time where we should keep our cool and focus on the right leads- base our theories on solid evidence and psychology," Vedant said looking at Ruby. "Let's not let our personal emotions overcome this case and force us to make grave errors, errors which can't be rectified. I don't want to sound like a motivational speaker or Am I an expert in it. I just want my team...MY team to remain sane and swim across this mad case successfully. I don't want another drowning."

The team knew their boss was indicating the fate of Vikram's career.

"Take Rajesh's murder off your mind. Focus on what we can use for our case and what we can actually use is only the evidence provided by Raj Kapoor, the cremator," said Vedant. "Curious person- I must say. Anyway. His account is- a man brought Rajesh in a van and asked him to cremate him. Raj Kapoor has principles in his profession. He demanded a death certificate for the deceased. The man failed to produce one and hence Raj Kapoor refused to cremate Rajesh. But- Mr Kapoor's principles aren't as strong as it has to be. Greed won. The man offered to pay him four times the usual price. Raj Kapoor took the money and cremated the body, with no idea that the man he was burning to ashes was a- or was going to be the most wanted man for the police in a murder investigation."

"So who was the man who offered him the money?" asked Ruby.

"I showed him all the pictures of the people involved in our case," replied Vedant.

"And?"

"He recognised...none."

"Oh Come On!" Ruby sighed with desperation. "So we are left no where again?"

"Now now Dr. Ruby," laughed Vedant. "This is why I said keep your cool. React after I complete my account entirely."

Ruby looked embarrassed. "So there is some good news?"

"Raj Kapoor didn't recognise the man who brought Rajesh for cremation. But he "kind off" recognised the driver of the van," paused Vedant. "He pointed at Tejesh to be the driver. He said he is 75% sure."

"75% sure? How did he even calculate that percentage?" snorted Agastya.

"He is just saving himself in case he is wrong," said Vedant. "Now- Does Lohan has any website for his travel agency? I mean...Is he just an agent or does he have his own transit vehicles?"