Chapter 4: Bittersweet Farewells Pt. 2

The minute the giant doors close of District 7's City Hall, Leonardo emerges from his room and dashes towards Destiny's. Halfway there, her door opens, their eyes meeting. The blue-masked turtle moves the rest of the way to her room, allowing the door to close behind them.

He smiles sadly and opens his arms to her, something she eagerly accepts. She practically falls into his arms, the pair allowing themselves to sink to their knees and hold each other on the floor. They have no one else in the world to say goodbye to, aside from Master Yoshi and a friend or two from school.

"Do you think Casey will come and say goodbye?" Destiny asks.

Leonardo shakes his head, still holding her against him. "You know how he is...he probably won't want to risk breaking down and crying in front of us."

"Right...I'm going to miss that idiot."

There's silence for another moment.

"What are the odds?" he whispers. "What are the-"

"You tried, Leo," she interrupts gently as she pulls away from the hug. "Please don't beat yourself up over this."

He looks down, his face guilt-ridden. She reaches her hand out and gently brushes his cheek, trying to get him to look at her. He reaches up and rests his own hand over hers, a deep sigh escaping him.

"Everything we wanted has been lost," he says.

They're silent for a second, as if mourning the dreams that have been crushed over the span of a few minutes. One moment, two names being called...and a lifetime of fear and sorrow ahead.

"I know," she responds, pressing her lips to his cheek.

----------

Jason straightens up as his door opens, a single Peacekeeper allowing a younger iguana girl entrance. She embraces her brother tightly, her body trembling.

"I can't believe you got picked," she whispers.

He sighs and pats her head. "I was never very lucky."

She sniffles a little, still visibly upset. He kneels down and gently pushes her chin up so she can see him.

"Mari, listen to me and listen good," he says softly, a slight edge to his tone. "I'm going to go in there, and I'm going to win. I'm going to spend every second from here on out fighting to get back to you."

She smiled weakly and brushes her hand across her tear-stained cheeks as her tail flicks.

"Promise?"

"Always."

The Peacekeeper comes in right then, gripping Mari's shoulder and taking her away. Jason moves forwards, trying to say one last thing, but the door slams shut as he sees his sister for the last time in a long time.

Meanwhile, Madison peeks out of her room as her parents leave, their lips pressed into thin lines and her mother's dark cheeks faintly stained with tears. The Latina sighs, her face hurt.

She looks up, noticing that Jason is watching her through a sliver between the door and its frame. He nods curtly and shuts the door again, leaving her alone once more.

----------

Piper jumps a little as her uncle is let into the room. He thanks the Peacekeeper briefly before turning and enveloping his niece in a tight hug.

"Hey Uncle Bill," she whispers, shutting her eyes and trying to enjoy the hug.

The man smiles, laughing weakly. "I...I hoped it wouldn't be you."