Four: Puppies and Kisses

---

Coming out of the memory violently, I gasped for air as I looked down to where I really was and that the small swan was still locked in my hands.

It was just a memory. I thought to myself, as I set the swan back down where I found it and pushed myself to stand up. It was odd that merely touching the item sent me into such a trance that I swore was real. One half of me was shocked, the other, sad. I had just been with the love of my life back where we first met, and then, standing in an empty room alone.

"I need to get out of here," I thought to myself, before heading for the door immediately and rushing my way out.

--

6:59 P.M.

One minute away from when Jack- or whoever it was -told me to meet him at the pond. The snow outside fell down softly in flakes of white, hitting the ground and remaining there untouched. It had not helped that today was the one day my parents had nothing planned, which made it worse as I counted down the clock to seven. One part of me wanted to leave, to just be free like Jack and I were as kids and just meet him at the pond. It wasn't far from our homes and was a public place where many people went. But, the biggest part of me wasn't convinced. If it was Jack, he would have came to me directly, and begged for me back. He would have explained why he ran whether I wanted him to or not, not left a small note in my doorway hoping I would see it.

7:00 P.M.

The Grandfather Clock rang, as another hour came and went. My hands shook, as my face was effortlessly planted beside the window looking out into the empty corn fields that reminded me of Jack even more.

"Honey, want to open an early Christmas present?" I heard my mom ask from behind me, as Luke, her, and my dad all sat in the living room talking amongst themselves. Turning from the window, I looked at her and shrugged. 

Getting up from my lonely chair in the corner, I went to sit beside Luke on the red sofa they had in their flowered up, wallpapered living room; immediately then being tossed a small wrapped up box from my mom.

"Open it! It's a gift from me," she chimed, sitting beside my dad on a sofa opposite from us. Smiling down at the little red and green wrapping paper, I could tell my mind was already being sidetracked from Jack and the note, as I tore the paper off the box and opened it up. Inside revealed a small Sapphire birth stone necklace, something that was so simplified it was perfect for me. Gazing down at the stone hanging beautifully from the fine silver chain, I couldn't help but feel better instantly.

"It matches my eyes perfectly, I love it," I said in awe, "I can't believe you actually bought me something that resembled me for once," I jokingly laughed, sending her to as well, since she was known to buy things no one liked nor wanted. Last Christmas the gifts she got me either were excessively filled with sparkles or ridiculously fancy to the point where people would ask me how much they could buy it off me for, which I didn't like one bit.

"I'm so glad!" my mom laughed with me, as same did my dad and Luke, before coming over to me and taking out the necklace to place upon my neck. Moving my long hair to the side as she latched the beautiful thing around me, I glanced down to it shimmering there and smiled. Jack was nothing but a memory now, as I was distracted beyond compare with everyone around me far more than I thought I would have been.

"It looks great on you," Luke added, wrapping an arm around me once my mother was done adjusting it and pulling me closer to his side. Nuzzling my head into the crook of his arm, it had been a while since we cuddled the way we were, and I liked it for a change. Usually Luke was too busy with his friends to notice me alone at home after work, but whenever with my parents, Luke really tried his best to impress them with kisses, cuddles, and all sorts of romantic things. He sure did love to love me while they were around.