Twenty One: A Person Named Jack

---

"I'll be back around nine tonight, I promise," I told Charlotte, as I grabbed my small briefcase full of what I needed and came over to give her a kiss. Her sweet lips caressed mine like they always did, making me hate to go.

"You'll have to tell me all about Lydia afterwards," she told, making me nod as I smiled to her. I was so glad she had chosen to stay with me here underground, but wished she didn't have to hide all the time.

"I definitely will," I kissed her once more, before going for the door and opening it with a swipe. Looking back at the beautiful woman that I once could call mine again, I spoke, "Promise me you'll stay here and out of trouble?" I asked, a serious face glued onto me. I didn't want to lock Charlotte in anywhere, but right now things just had to slow down. I didn't want her getting anymore hurt than she already was and I definitely didn't want anyone seeing her and taking her away.

Smiling at me she nodded, agreeing that she wouldn't get into any trouble while I was gone. Blowing her a kiss as I left, I closed the doors behind me and took a deep breath; hoping that Charlotte would actually listen to me for once and stay put.

Getting a better grip on my briefcase, I started down the long hallway. For some reason I was nervous, scared maybe, at the fact that I was going to meet someone who had done so much for us. Without Dr. Macline, none of us could survive down here. Her breathing mechanism was genius and definitely made me want to bump up my game on what I accomplished.

Turning left, the windows looking down to the citizens on the floor level showed everyone lining up nicely. Children played in line with their friends, laughing and smiling as their parents tried their best to quiet them down.

"Jack Nethers! Just the man I was looking for!" I heard someone say, sending me to look in front of me instead of out the windows and notice Greg Northington, one of the head scientists, coming towards me. He was an older man of around sixty, with a bald head and small gray mustache. He had been down here for just about forty years now, which guaranteed him a spot as a head scientist. Only the oldest, smartest scientists were granted that title.

"Hello Dr. Northington, how may I assist you?" I questioned, shaking his firm, dark hand as he approached me directly.

"You know how Dr. Macline is coming very unexpectedly tonight," he stated, making me nod my head as I looked down to my briefcase. Who doesn't know she is coming? I thought to myself, before looking back up at him. "well, we have been looking around for extra space for her to stay while we make room and we remembered that extra room you have in your apartment..." he drifted, almost as if he didn't want to say the rest of the sentence.

"Yes? What about it?" I asked, wondering what he was trying to get at.

"Would you be willing to house her while we find her her own living quarters? It will only be for a couple of days, a week at the most." he ended, making me look at him in confusion. I knew I wasn't the only one here with more than one bedroom, which made me wonder why they chose me to house her?

"How come you chose me? I think Dr. Barns has an open room too," I noted, since I most definitely did not want her staying with Charlotte and I. It's not that she wouldn't be a pleasure to house, but Charlotte wouldn't have any freedom and it would be almost impossible to hide her.

"Actually she requested to stay with you until we found her another place. I'm afraid there's no other option," he told, making me take a deep breath and try to calm myself down. Usually Charlotte was the one to help me when I was anxious, but now it was my turn.

Turning to look out the window at the citizens below once more, I nodded in agreement to having her stay with me. I surely didn't want it, but I knew I couldn't deny. I wasn't in charge here, only a part of the equation to our success, and I really didn't have a choice without sounding suspicious.

"Great! Would you follow me down to the first level then? The meeting was moved to taking place down there with the citizens. We decided to let them join in on knowing the information." Dr. Northington spoke, before leading me the way to the elevator where we rode down to join everyone else. A person named Jack. I thought to myself. A person named Jack is who she chose to stay with. I sighed, not knowing what I had just gotten myself into...

"Good afternoon, everyone!" Dr. Northington excited to all of the citizens, as well as scientists around. "Let me start off with saying how wonderfully proud I am of each and every one of you, and that I wish you only the happiest of holidays," he cheered, sending everyone to clap and rejoice at his words. 

"Lydia Macline will be here shortly and I would like to ask each and every one of you to be on your best behavior. We will greet her with kindness and respect. Only the best for someone who has done so much for us." he ended with a smile, as I lined up with the rest of the around four scientists in front of the citizens. The two head scientists waited on each side as we heard the elevator start up and send someone down.

Chatter amongst the citizens began to start, a whisper nonetheless, but when I looked back to them they all immediately fell silent. I was shocked at the fact that everyone stopped talking the second I turned my head to them, but when I looked forward again, I noticed I definitely wasn't the one shutting them up...