Twenty Seven: The Baby Inside

---

It had been a week. A week of Lydia in the hospital for wounds caused by me in what Jack explained as "a misunderstanding" to others. However, I'm not too sure what I misunderstood...but I went along with it. Today Lydia was being released from the hospital and Jack and I were helping move her things into her newly completed apartment.

"Jack, can't I just stay home? I'm not much help anyways with my hands the way they are," I shrugged, as I carried her suitcase in both of my arms instead of one of my hands. Jack, walking at a steady pace beside me, shook his head and trotted along down another empty hallway to Lydia's new home. 

Groaning, we finally arrived at a lone door at the end, and waving his hand, Jack entered first. Following his steps, I came in behind him and smiled as it looked like we were back at Jack's apartment. All the same furniture was placed about, as were the rooms which were identical to his.

Placing Lydia's suitcase down on the couch, I went over to the windows and drew a sunflower. A lovely image of a wildflower field came onto the screens then, brightening up the place wonderfully. Smiling, I watched as the colorful flowers and tall grass drifted back and forth from the wind, as the sun up above shined down. This should be a good welcome home picture.

"It's like we never left," Jack whispered to me, as he came over and wrapped his arms around my stomach. Giggling, I then heard the door to the house open and turning around with Jack still holding me, we saw Lydia and Greyson enter. Confused as to why Greyson was with her, Jack slowly let me go and went over to welcome Lydia to her new home.

"Looks familiar doesn't it?" Jack joked to her, as I came over to his side and took in Lydia's face more clearly than before. Black and blue bruises dotted her cheeks in circles, like I had hit her with a baseball instead of my fists. Her lip was stitched on the side where I must have busted it open, while her forehead was covered in smaller stitched up cuts that I honestly didn't know where she got from.

I bit my lip as I felt guilty for hurting her, and I wasn't sure how she felt about it all after and in that moment as she looked to me. Was she scared of me? Would she tell Jack to break up with me? Would she turn me in? All sorts of questions roamed in my head, banging on the edges like a docked boat when the tide came in.

"Looks perfect for me," Lydia told, smiling weakly at Jack and myself. "Dr. Wolfe, thank you for your escort to my new home. You have been such a help," she spoke to Greyson, making him smile and nod.

"It's been no problem at all, if you ever need anything else don't be afraid to call me," he replied, looking to me after he said it, as if he was speaking to me instead. Looking down and away from him, he then exited and the doors closed behind him.

"I'll go get your room ready, you should rest some more," Jack prompted, taking a hold of her suitcase and other belongings and bringing them over to the master bedroom. Looking up and back to Lydia, it was then just the two of us, and I knew I had to talk over things with her.

"Lydia..." I hesitated, before being cut off from her speaking.

"Charlotte, I understand why you did what you did. If anything it was out of mere instinct," she told, making me look to her in shock that she was fully understanding of what I did. Nodding, I was glad she had told me what she had, but she deserved an apology anyways.

"I'm glad you're not mad at me, but that doesn't excuse what I did. I'm very sorry for lashing out the way I did. Jack doesn't deserve that and neither do you," I apologized truthfully, looking to her as she nodded and accepted my words. Smiling back, I was more than relieved that she forgave me, and sighed a heavy sigh.

"Your rooms all ready, I'll help you to bed," Jack offered, placing his hand on Lydia's back. Turning Lydia and leading her to the room he prepared, she turned around and spoke directly to me.

"Stop by any time you'd like, I mean it," she said, before she continued on with Jack down the hall. Smiling, I was glad that things ultimately worked out between us, even if I still did have some pent up anger about the whole issue of her disappearing. But as much as I forgave Jack for what he did to me, I had to forgive her too...

---

"I'll be back in a few hours, I just have a meeting to discuss some new laws that we might be implicating soon," Jack said to me once we arrived back home, before kissing me on the cheek and grabbing onto the same briefcase that he brought with him to every other meeting he attended. Did he even use that thing? I wondered to myself, before I processed what he told me and immediately realized what was going on.

"New laws? Because of me, right? Because of what happened with Lydia?" I wondered in frustration, grabbing onto my hair that laid loosely at my sides instead of the usual ponytail that I wore when I went out. Sighing, I could tell Jack didn't want to answer, so instead he told me to be good and that he would be back soon. Groaning, I leaned back in the couch I rested upon and contemplated on how many times he did in fact treat me like a dog.

"Okay, I'll see you soon," I grunted, trying to not be grumpy about his ways and watched as he blew me a kiss before exiting out of the house and closing the doors behind him. Standing up from the couch, I wasn't sure what I was going to do in the time he was gone, but I definitely couldn't start anything on an empty stomach.

Scurrying to the kitchen, I opened the fridge and took out some eggs and bacon to cook up some breakfast for lunch. Laying out the bacon on a pan and cracking open the eggs to place in a pot, I waited for them to cook, while grabbing out a bottle of hot fudge and a spoon and stuffing my face with as much of it as I could.

"Hot fudge goes with everything," I said in between spoonfuls, while drizzling some on top of my eggs and bacon once they finished. Taking a bite of the bacon and hot fudge together, it was a wonderful mix inside my mouth, but all within the second it turned completely foul and I turned around to throw up effortlessly in the sink. 

Hacking up the food I had just consumed, my eyes started watering in a disaster as I wiped off my face with a nearby paper towel. Leaning back up against the sink as I let the water run away the remains, I didn't even want to take a second glance at the food that I had prepared.

Turning off the water, I threw away all the food on my plate and went over to lay back down on the couch. I definitely won't try that again. I thought to myself, as I rubbed my stomach from the pain I was in after my single bite of food. Trying hard to think of anything else that might have made me sick in such an instance, I realized I had missed the one time of the month that every female I knew dreaded so much, and immediately dashed to the bathroom. 

Slamming the door behind me as I entered, I knelt down to the cupboard under the sink to try to find anything that Jack might have to help me. Instead of finding items, though, I found a large touchscreen with a dispenser on the side. Touching my finger to the screen, a keyboard popped up, prompting me to type in what I needed. Hitting the keys with hesitation, I didn't want to type in what I wanted, which was definitely a shocker for me. I had always dreamed of the moment it happened, but this was not the right time at all for it to.

Dispensing the object of my choice, I sat down on the toilet and followed the simple directions diligently, before waiting a couple minutes for my results. Pacing back and forth in the bathroom was the worst torture I could imagine and I wanted it all to end. The seconds seemed like hours and the minutes seemed like days as I stood watching and waiting for the result. Grabbing onto the small stick and leaning back against the closed door, I could feel tears escaping my eyes unwantedly.

Two lines had appeared, the result that I was waiting so long for, and I closed my eyes as the tears fell more heavily from me. Pouring out like raindrops would to an ant, I felt like I was drowning in my own tears, and slowly fell to the ground; throwing the test into the bathtub and cracking it against the wall. However, not even burning the thing would help, because I already had the baby inside of me. I was already pregnant...