Seventeen: Above Ground

---

I was amazed at the clothes that Jack could gather for me around the town, because white was getting a bit old and I didn't want to go above ground like a ghost. Looking at my appearance in the mirror, I wore a tight black long sleeved shirt and black leggings that tucked into short brown ankle boots. 

Apparently he said the clothes I was wearing came from the soldier wear they had in case need be for an attack, but I really didn't care. I think I looked good and it was far better than any old citizen wardrobe I was used to.

"Are you ready?" Jack asked, as he came into the bathroom wearing a nice, white button down shirt and black jeans. Giggling, I tugged on his shirt and told him that now he was the one wearing white for a change, which made him laugh as well. "Got to look good for the..." Jack stumbled at his words, not knowing what to call my family since before he always just went with in-laws, even if we weren't married.

"Got to look good for going above ground," I butted in with a smile, for I didn't know what he should call them either. Better to just leave it at not knowing than making something more awkward than it needs to be. Laughing, Jack nodded, and handed me a short, gray jacket to wear. "Thanks," I told, before we both headed over to the door.

"Wait," Jack rejoiced, reaching into his coat pocket and pulling out a small white box. "Merry Christmas," he smiled, as he opened it up and presented the fine necklace inside. Smiling down at the jewelry, I wasn't expecting a gift at all, and was most definitely shocked.

"Oh Jack, it's beautiful," I spoke softly, hugging him with all my might as I was ever so glad I had chosen to stay with him. No matter what we had to go through to be together, I wouldn't lose him again. 

Ending the hug, I remembered my mother's necklace that I still wore from earlier, and removed it to place in my coat pocket. Smiling, a fresh canvas then was presented for Jack's necklace to hang, which he promptly did. Looking down once Jack adorned it on me, the small round crystals that hung from the bottom of the necklace looked perfect, and I couldn't stop smiling.

"I feel bad, I didn't get you anythin-" I started to say, but Jack cut me off.

"You're here, and that's much better than any other gift as cheesy as it sounds," Jack laughed, kissing me on the forehead as I felt instantly better. He was always so good at cheering people up. I thought, before he waved to open the doors and we started out. 

Jack told me that the hallways would be near dead, for all the other scientists were all preparing for Lydia's arrival later that day, so we hopefully would have a straight shot through without any questions. As for Jack's preparations, he told me he worked it out with another scientist that he could do his when he came back from his "studies", which was going above ground. As long as he came back by 6 P.M., he would have enough time to get ready.

Taking the elevators back up from the way we had come, it was so odd to look down at the kingdom that once had been so new and strange to me, and now see wonder and excitement. The citizens had decorated their glass homes with cheerful decorations, lighting up even the smallest corner of darkness. It seemed like they really enjoyed the holidays.

Vanishing all within the second, walls enclosed us from the view, until soon enough the elevator ringed and we were at our destination. Gulping down my worries, it had seemed like forever since the last time I had stepped foot on actual land, and I was scared for some reason. Maybe it was because the real world reminded me of not having Jack, or maybe the fact that I didn't know what was waiting for me back home, but either way I didn't want to get out of that elevator.

"Baby it's okay, I'm right here with you. Here, hold my hand," he whispered, grabbing ahold of my hand and tightly squeezing it. Nodding, I took a deep breath, before stepping out into the cabin with Jack and making our way to the forest. The wind was careful on my face as I stepped outside, almost like an inviting friend who I hadn't seen in a while. The snow fell down in soft flakes, covering the ground and trail that we once had come down before. 

Still grasped onto Jack's hand, he led me through the forest, somehow remembering the same way we had gone before without any tracks to keep him on the path. I trailed my free hand against the tall pines around us, watching as the snow fell from the needles and onto the ground in puffs. I never did enjoy winter too much due to the cold, but today I enjoyed everything about it.

"Come here, I got you," Jack said, as we hit the small creek that was now iced over far worse than before. Jack helped me over it, as my clumsy self would have most likely fell in otherwise, and we continued walking until the Hickory Lane pond fell in sight. Smiling, as same did Jack beside me when I looked, we stopped when we got to the pond, looking out as the sunlight sparkled against the fine ice.

"I just want you to know I'm not leaving your side," Jack told, making me nod and hold onto his hand tighter. "If anything bad happens, anything at all, we're coming straight back," he ended, making it clear that he wouldn't be dealing with any nonsense.

"Okay," I responded, noticing out in the distance my parents' house and the many decorations that lit it up. I knew they didn't put them up to be cheerful, but merely because they wanted to show off to all the other neighbors in how they didn't care how large their electrical bill was.

Walking up to the front of the house, I could see my mother and father inside the kitchen, preparing a meal it seemed. It was odd to see my mom helping with things such as cooking, but I guess in the few days I had been gone she changed her ways. Looking over to the living room windows, I noticed Luke sitting alone on the couch watching football nonetheless.

Sighing, I let Jack's hand go, and walked up the steps leading to their front door. "Everything's okay, I'm right here," Jack said from behind me, before I knocked on their front door.

"Luke can you get that, it's probably Jane," I heard my mom screech, almost like she expected him to be completely deaf and not be able to hear a thing. Getting up from the couch, I watched Luke come over to the door, my adrenaline pumping hard with each step I heard him take. I was more than nervous, because this wasn't like anything I had ever done before and I was extremely scared for the outcome.

Taking a deep breath and closing my eyes, I felt Jack tug me back a bit into his chest, sending me to open my eyes as Luke stood before me with his mouth wide-open.