Chapter Sixteen: Trust Issues

"How is it possible for someone to screw up so badly?" I ask myself as I walk through the busy school hallway. Landon had lost his half of the assignment we had done. Luckily I had created a photocopy of his part of the assignment in case I needed to reference it while I was doing my part. He leans against the doorframe of our classroom and doesn't notice me walk up to him.

"Here." I say dryly and I shove the assignment roughly into his chest. He smirks and watches me as I brush past him into the room. I hear him call a thanks at me but ignore him. I take my seat next to the back door and Landon slides into the seat next to me.

Mr. Zap clears his throat, signalling for the class to shut up. "Okay, let's get started." He says in his deep authoritative teacher voice. "I'd like you all to hand in your assignments now." The class all stands up and slaps their assignments onto the desk he's standing behind.

He's about to start the lesson when I feel a familiar buzzing from my pocket. I sigh and pull out the "business" phone and shield it so that Landon doesn't look at it over my shoulder. On the screen flashes Maximus and a video interview with him.

I turn on the subtitles and make sure the volume is off to keep from disturbing the class. "Hey Scarlett," he says, flashing his prize winning smile to the camera. "meet me at the place I saw you last, and bring your 'friend', too."

I know where he's talking about. I know exactly who he's talking about. I stare at the perfect looking superhero on the screen and scan him carefully. His auburn coloured hair is poking slightly out from certain places around the helmet covering his head and parts of his face and this makes his vibrant, forest green eyes stand out.

He wants me to meet him at that bridge with Rancor. I know for sure that's what he meant. How did he know we were working together, though?

•••

"Seriously? No, I'm not going." Rancor says, stomping his foot and crossing his arms over his chest in defiance. 

I scowl at him and roll my eyes. "Yes. You're coming." I say back. He turns around and is now sitting in my window sill. I sit on my bed, crosslegged and my superhero costume laying on my lap. My hair is pulled back into a sleek ponytail and I'm wearing my red eye mask already.

"Charlie-otte," He scratches the back of his head. I narrow my eyes at him questioningly. He clears his throat and continues, "Charlotte, I'm not going." His voice is low and he looks at me dangerously. I let out a sigh and super speed into my costume, then walk over to the window and push him out of it. He starts floating in front of me and growls. I fly out next to him and grab him by the hand.

He gives me the death glare as I do so and I take off like a rocket, him dragging behind me. Within seconds we are at the bridge and there are only few cars below on the bridge compared to the usual traffic jam. The night sky above us is cloudless, the stars twinkle and the moon lights up the entire sky.

The two of us stand on top of the bridge, standing about an inch apart because of lack of space and I hold onto his wrist just in case he tries to make a break for it. In the distance, a yellow beam dances across the sky, getting closer and closer until finally, Maximus is floating in front of us.

"Ahh I'm so glad you could make it." He says cheerfully, smiling brightly at Rancor, then at me. Rancor only glares at him in response, offering a small grimace. 

I force a smile onto my face and then return to seriousness. "Okay, let's get to the reason why you wanted us here." I say firmly. 

He nods his head and begins walking in the air, pacing as if we were standing in the office about to be lectured by the principal. "I wanted you guys here because I know about the villains plans and I also know about you two working together to stop them. After you, Scarlett, got kicked out of the League-"