Chapter Twenty-Three: I Cannot Believe You

Rancor sits cross legged in front of me in the middle of the table at League HQ. He fiddles with a paper clip he found on the ground and bends it in every direction. I lay on my back, staring up at the ceiling, breathing in deep breaths to keep myself from freaking out for no apparent reason.

"Are you okay Cha-Scarlett? You've been heavy breathing for the past half hour." He asks. 

I exhale loudly and heave myself to a sitting position beside him. "Yeah-yeah I'm fine," I reply. 

He looks at me as if he is studying me. "It shouldn't be to much longer until I get the signal from El Diablo." 

And just as he says that, Rancor perks up and presses an earpiece in his ear. He stands up and grabs my hand, pulling me with him.

"So where are we meeting?" I ask, curiously. 

After a moment of silence he says, "In the cemetery down in the Outskirts." I furrow my eyebrows. Why in the cemetery? I shake off the uneasiness and let Rancor lead me.

We arrive in the cemetery and there's nobody in sight. I look around in all directions, as does Rancor. Suddenly I feel a chill run down my spine as someone's hot breath brushes the back of my neck. I super speed around and see him: El Diablo.

His fiery red hair splays to the side and he has a wicked grin spread across his lips, showing off a perfect smile. He is much taller than me, maybe a whole head taller. He's even taller than Rancor. His intense green eyes burn holes into mine as he stares me down.

"Hey Rancor." He says, not removing his eyes from mine. I hold eye contact. I refuse to let him think he intimidates me. "This must be your girl... Scarlett." 

Rancor steps forward so that he is a little bit in front of me. "This is Scarlett. Now chill out with the creepy stare down, dude. She doesn't get scared by people like us, okay?" El Diablo's eyes flick to Rancor and then back to me. 

He cocks his head to the side and smirks, as if he accepted the challenge, but steps back. "Why am I here?" He asks, finally. 

I put my hands on my hips and watch El Diablo shift his weight from foot to foot. "We need your help to stop Sinister." I reply simply, not elaborating at this time just in case things go badly.

"Well that's obvious," he fake laughs, "but give me more to go on here. Give me a reason to help you." 

I inhale a deep breath and tell him about what that girl told me to do with Sinister. He leans against a tombstone, his previously bored expression turns into one of interest.

"Okay, stop for a minute there, Scarlett. So you're saying that Paranoia told you this?" He says with anticipation hidden in his tone. 

I glance up at Rancor and then back to El Diablo, clearing my throat before saying, "Uhh yeah. Do you know her?"

El Diablo's face contorts into the slightest look of disgust. "Yeah. I reckon you have no idea who she is though, do you?" I shake my head slowly. El Diablo laughs to himself, crossing him arms. "Paranoia is Sinister's sister."

"Well I guess it's a good thing I didn't attack her, then." I reply without hesitation as I mimic El Diablo's movement and cross my arms over my chest. His face turns deadly serious and he stares at me with a tinge of hatred. I bet he was expecting me to gasp and put on the theatrics. .

Rancor, who had been standing next to me silently for the past ten minutes, steps forward and in between El Diablo and I. "Okay kids, as much fun that this has been, I think Scarlett and I should be heading out." He grabs my shoulder and gently pushes me backwards.