2 | Follow Or Get Left Behind

After he fainted, I dragged Vincent back into the cabin. He later woke up, freaking out on how there was a wolf next to him and I started to talk trying to refresh his memory on what had happened before. Yet, the idiot fainted again. The next time he woke up, I was back into human form and explained again about myself and his fainting. I sighed in relief as he endured a panic attack, understood and accepted me for who I was.

After accepting his offer, he started to talk about basic human things like clothing, cooking, how they traded money for goods, how inventors made a living by creating new inventions to facilitate people's lives. I just sat there, intently listening to every word he was saying. I realized I had more to learn about humans. So, so much more.

Vincent told me he would go to the city to buy me clothes, that he would return soon. He told me to wait for him, since it would be strange for people to have a sight of a girl wandering around getting curious of her surroundings.

A while had passed after he left, and I realized I had to come in contact with the pack. I took off the shirt I was wearing and turned back into a wolf, I dashed across the trees feeling free as the wind brushed my fur. I took a stop on a small lake and took a quick drink, the den was not far from where I was standing. I soon started to run again and thought, what was I going to say? What would I tell my mother, that I was planning on leaving the pack just because I wanted to venture around with a human I had just met? I stopped, maybe it was not the right thing to do, but my heartbeat pumped faster every single time I imagined roaming far away from home.

Suddenly, I saw some of the Vonne clan's wolves coming closer to me, Tod, my brother's best friend recognized me and rushed towards me.

"Ceresse, your mother has been worried sick about you. We have been looking for you for a while now."

"Where is she? I need to talk to her, to all of you, actually."

Tod gestured behind him and my mother came in sight. "Dear, where have you been? There is trouble within the woods."

"I am fine mother, there is something I need to tell you.. Wait, what trouble?" I asked.

She sobbed, "Your brother Dean was informed that a group of humans are starting to cut down the trees of this forest, our home will be destroyed soon!"

"What are we going to do?"

"There is nothing we can do, we have to find a new home. Everyone has been looking for you, I am glad you are alright. Cad told me that you would be late, but I was not expecting for it to be this late."

"Mother, please listen to me. I want to stay."

"It's normal to feel that way dear, but you will get accustomed on where we decide to live from now on."

"No, that's not what I mean. Mother.. I want to leave the pack.

Her soft eyes froze, as if she was no longer breathing. "You are too young to be thinking about that, Ceresse!"

I heard a loud howl, it was my brother Dean approaching us, he did not look happy. "Ceresse, tell us all the truth. Why do you want to leave the pack?" he growled.

"I.. want to explore the world." I answered quietly. One wrong move and Dean could turn deadly dangerous.

"Wrong. I know about your 'friend', that disgusting human. Do you not remember what misfortune they have brought to us?!" he roared.

I shrunk in fear, "How did you-"

"I saw you, don't ask me when. Are you sure you want to leave? Fine with me, the moment you got acquainted with him you lost all of my respect. It is your decision, follow the pack, or get left behind. There is no going back."

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

The sun was setting down and I was getting closer to Vincent's cabin. Memories kept flashing through my mind as I remembered saying goodbye to my mother, my friend Cad, the pack.

My paws came to a stop when I saw him, standing in front of the cabin with a worried expression on his face. His eyes finally landed on me and gave me a relieved smile.

Father if you are watching me, please don't hate me. I am proud of my decision, I will not regret it.

Somehow, I feel that I need to be with him, not because of my selfish needs, but I feel that...

I want to protect him.