3 | Not That Ugly Anymore

Vocabulary:
*The Big House - Jail

Vincent and I went downtown to return the clothes he had bought for me, low waisted skirts were not of my taste even though he said it was 'trending' at the moment.

A woman yelling random prices eyed me and rushed out of a small building with flashy clothes on her hands, "Oh my! Darling you need to be more lady-like. Here try these on, I'm sure your man will gladly buy these for you!"

My man?

I glared at the horrendous floppy garbs, "They are not appealing. I want something comfortable and not embarrassing, no offense to your own dress." She didn't seem to be offended, but brought us into her 'store' as she called it.

"You aren't fond of the flapper dresses." she sighed. In the end, Vincent bought six mid-waisted and high-waisted dresses; they were too long for my liking, so I cut the bottom ends off evenly with a sharp tool I found in his cabin. They later fitted me just above the knee.

Back at the cabin, I was handed a bag that was meant to be worn on the back, filled with my new clothes and a pair of shoes aside from the ones I was wearing.

"That's what you will carry, don't lose it. I'll carry my own and the money. We'll be eating abroad so don't worry about food. Now, our first step is to catch a passenger train." Vincent stated.

I stood up excitedly, "Where are we going first?"

"We're leaving West Virginia. We are going to make some stops on the way, but our goal is New York's 'United States Line' shipping company." I gave him a blank face since I didn't understand what he was talking about.

New York? Shipping company? What is that?

He laughed and added, "We are traveling by ground and then we will head across the ocean to another land."

Ohh.

My eyes widened, "How are we going to do that?!"

"You'll see." he grinned.

<><><><><><><><><><>

The train stopped and we hopped aboard running to grab a seat before other humans- I mean, people, beat us to sit down. We were inside a huge moving machine! Vincent had been drooling at moments when he was asleep as my eyes kept watching the trees zoom by.

A lady sat next to me and gave me a smile before she crossed her legs. I looked at her realizing she was wearing a 'flapper' dress. I scrunched my nose at the sight and turned to see Vincent, who was making unpleasant hoarse noises.

A man sat next to him, slowly reaching for Vincent's bag. I eyed him curiously as to what he was doing, his hand swiftly came out holding money. A lot of money. The man stood up and started to walk away. Wait, what just happened?

I tried to wake up Vincent to ask if it was normal for people to take other people's money, my attempt failed so I followed the man.

"You there!" I asked aggressively.

The man turned to see if I was talking to him and I continued, "Where do you think you are going with someone else's money?"

He put on a panicked face but then brushed it off by saying "None of your business, missy. Now shoo."

I growled at him and tried to grab the money from his bag. He started to cry for help, "I'm being robbed! Someone get this woman away from me!" People started to stare at us but acted like nothing was happening.

Vincent rushed to me, "Ceresse! what are you doing? Let the man go." He was still drowsy.

"No! He took your money while you were sleeping! That's not good, right?" Vincent looked at the man in shock and told him that he would send the man to 'the big house' if he didn't return the money.

The man freed himself and started running towards the exit. I laughed and yelled at him, "There is no running away from someone like me!" I dropped my bag on the floor and turned into my wolf form. It's been a while since I last chased an ugly being.

• Vincent's POV •

I closed my eyes due to Ceresse's nudeness when people were screaming as they saw a young lady transform into a beautiful wolf. I quickly grabbed her backpack and left the remaining pieces of her sundress on the floor.

I followed her to a door exit. The robber was planning on jumping off the train. Is he out of his mind?!

"Sir, just hand me back the money and she won't hurt you!" I told the man, he was screaming in fear. I could see Ceresse's humor in her eyes.

He threw the money to her and ran away as fast as he could. I picked up the money when when a pair of train workers came into view. People were pointing at Ceresse shaking in fear.

"Hop on!" she ordered.

"On where?"

"On me, idiot!"

One of the men held out a gun warning her to leave or he would shoot. I hopped on and grabbed onto her soft fur.

"Ceresse, be careful." I trembled.

She nodded and jumped out of the train, only god knows in what pitch I was screaming at that moment. The landing wasn't very pleasant, may I add. We rolled down a steep hill and I could hear her wince when it all stopped.

I cleaned my self up as she shook herself. She looked at me and asked, "What are we going to do now?"

I grabbed the bags and looked ahead, "Walk, I guess."

"I am very sorry. It it weren't for me, we would still be riding that train."

"Don't worry about it. You did the right thing." I assured her. I gave her a pat on the head and placed my nose against hers. Surprised, she perked her ears up and backed her head a little.

"Don't be shy, it's just me. The ugly human." I chuckled.

She rose her eyes to me, "I don't think you're that ugly anymore.."

"Oh."

"Yeah.."