Chapter Four

So that’s how I spent the rest of my day. Working my butt off in my room, not stopping my practice other than to eat and use the restroom. It was a little hard to practice when the song was a duet, and there was only one me. But hey, if I wanted to be on this show, I was gonna have to figure my way through challenges much tougher than this, probably. So, I rotated between playing the song on the computer, singing over PINK’s part to hear Nate Ruess singing, and just playing the background music and singing by myself.

That being said, I was even more exhausted than before by the time I needed to go eat dinner. I wanted to see some of my fellow teammates anyways, after being cooped up in my room for most of the day. I tried not to let my eyes droop as I treaded along to dinner. Perhaps a nice meal would help energize me some. All in a day’s work, I thought to myself as I finally arrived at my destination.

However, at dinner, everyone seemed just as tired or even more worn out than I was. We still talked, as there was plenty to be said, but all carried a weary air as we talked, mostly about our practices today. I was beginning to feel some tension rise between me and Peter, as one of us would soon be defeating the other.

I couldn’t decide if I was more nervous about battling Peter or the possibility of letting Adam down. I had practiced so hard earlier, I couldn’t see how I could have possibly done something wrong, but I wasn’t a professional, so there could potentially be flaws I just wasn’t detecting.

I wanted to chat with the others after eating, but knew I should probably get back to my room and keep practicing. If I went further into the competition, I wouldn’t always be so socially awkward and never talk unless forced, but with the competition so heated right now, I needed to get in everything I could. If I made it forward, all of this practice would be worth it.

Once back in my room, I turned the song back on and jumped right back into practice. About an hour into it, I could feel my eyes drooping as my energy drained out of me. I had been up for so long without any rest. I needed sleep. Once I got through this song one more time, I would go to bed. A feeling of guilt washed over me. Was I dropping my practice to sleep? You practiced all afternoon, I reminded myself.

The moment the music stopped playing, I shut my laptop off and nearly fell into bed. I didn’t even bother to change. I just buried myself deep in the blankets and decided to enjoy the sleep while I could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugh, what time was it? I felt my hand slam down on the snooze button as my alarm clock began making obnoxious noises. 7:45. Well crap, I had fifteen minutes until breakfast.

I pulled on jeans, a tee shirt, and tennis shoes. I quickly brushed my hair and sent it up into a messy bun, not having the time to make it look too nice. Unfortunately, since I was going to have to look like crap in front of Adam. Since it took about five minutes to get to breakfast, I made myself a mental note to get up thirty minutes before breakfast was supposed to start from now on. And that was if I wasn’t getting a shower. Even though I was a night shower sort of girl, I would probably have to start taking morning showers so I was nice and clean during practices. The last thing I needed was to look or smell dirty around my favorite celebrity.

I halfway walked, halfway jogged to breakfast. Me and Peter were right after breakfast again today as well. He was acting a bit edgy, but that wasn’t big news. I mean, I had been expecting that. As for me, I would try my best to be friendly. I planned to try and stay on everyone’s good side.

The room we were practicing in had a stage with two microphones on it, and two stools not far from the front of the stage. The rest of the room was filled with equipment and instruments for The Voice Band. However, since our song was just piano music, just a single member of The Voice Band was in the room, sitting at the piano bench.