Chapter Twenty-Three

There's nervous, and there's really nervous. There's also extremely, incredibly nervous.

           I belonged in the last category because it was indeed Tuesday night, and in less than two hours, the winner of the show would be revealed. So I'd say I had the right to feel nervous.

           "You ready, Beka?" I turned around hurriedly, to find that Hayley was behind me, ready for our performance.

           "Y-yeah, I think so," I muttered. It wasn't even performing with her that I was nervous about, but I was still freaking out.

           "Nerves getting to ya?" Hayley guessed.

           "Yeah," I admitted rather sheepishly.

            She put a hand on my shoulder. "It'll be fine," she reassured me.

           "I hope so," was all I could say.

           We were given our microphones, which meant that it was only a few more minutes before we would go onstage. Oh God, I was not ready for tonight.

           Up until now, I had told myself that no matter what the results were, I'd be fine. But now, as the day had come, I knew that I would feel sad if I didn't win. After all that had happened on this show...it couldn't be for nothing. It just couldn't.

           What would I do? The only way I would even be able to find a place to live would be if I got the 100,000 dollars that came with winning the show! If I didn't win this, I was so screwed.I should’ve been forming some sort of plan before now as to what I would do if I didn’t win, but in the midst of everything else going on, I hadn’t.

Suddenly, I realized that I could take whatever money was in the family bank account. And what about my dad’s will? Would I inherit anything from that? I had yet to find out, it was probably going through all that legal process crap right now. But if I did, I could possibly manage. Possibly. The $100,000 dollars would still be extremely helpful, though.

           "Beka, come on," I heard Hayley say, grabbing me by the arm. Oh, we were going onstage now.

           I can't deny that singing Airplanes with Hayley was fun. For the duration of the song, my thoughts were on something other than my worries, which allowed me to just have fun with it. Hayley was also a real energetic performer, so we could move around onstage a lot and just enjoy singing the song. Considering the fact that I was spazzing out on the inside just minutes before, it went quite well.

Backstage, they, of course, wanted me to change into a different outfit to go onstage again later. I was perfectly comfortable in the outfit I was in now, as it wasn’t a dress, but Wardrobe apparently wanted to doll me up for when they announced the winner. Whatever. Since it was the last time I would get to wear one of the incredibly expensive outfits they had here, I supposed I could survive one more dress. Besides, the dress wasn’t the worse part. The heels were.

Waiting backstage so much longer was proving to be quite annoying, as there was nothing to distract me from my thoughts. I couldn’t help but think of the worst possible scenarios as to what could happen if I didn’t win. Maybe if Peter wins, I can “borrow” some of his money...

The thought popped in my head out of nowhere. Not a terrible idea...no, I couldn’t do that. I wasn’t going to take any of the money he won away from him even if he was willing to give it. Plus, he probably wouldn’t be.

My heart was pounding and I couldn’t do anything but pace back and forth backstage, trying not to get in anyone’s way. I tried sitting down for a while, but I couldn’t sit still for very long. Wait...