Chapter Twenty

My life is so odd right now, I thought as the hair and makeup staff attempted to make me look acceptable. Just in the past week, so much had changed.

I had thought I was off the show, but Adam brought me back. Then Peter had admitted he still had feelings for me, then he kissed me, but Adam kissed me too. Things were so confusing.

At the moment, though, my main concern was tonight. It was Tuesday night, which meant that we were being told who was moving on and who was leaving. After everything that had happened, I don’t think I’d be able to stand it if I left now. After all the trouble Adam had gone through to get me back, I couldn’t leave just yet. And I felt the need to sort things out with Peter before I left. If tonight was my last night, I may not ever get the chance to talk to him again.

There was also the fact that I did indeed have to sing tonight. Towards the end of the lives, they would pair up the remaining artists and have them do duets together. So, of course, I had gotten stuck with Peter. Great. And of course, we were doing one of my favorite songs, which I really didn’t want to sing with him. It was called If It Means alot to You, and considering the lyrics, singing it with Peter would be extremely, incredibly awkward.

When it was time for us to perform, I took my microphone and headed onstage. For the first verse and chorus, I would just have to awkwardly stand there, since I didn't come in until the second verse. I did have to look at Peter, though, for the sake of the performance. As if everything he was saying was true.

"And hey darling, I hope you're good tonight," Peter began when it was time. I wanted to puke, but I had to try my hardest to not look disgusted.

Somehow, I survived the first verse and chorus. Now it was my turn.

"And hey sweetie, well I need you here tonight. And I know that you don't wanna be leaving me. Yeah, you want it, but I can't help it. I just feel complete when you're by my side." That line took extra effort to get out.

If it was my choice, I would look at Adam, but since I was supposed to be acting like I liked Peter, I had to put on a fake smile and look right at him. This sucked so much.

“You know you can’t give me what I need. And even though you mean so much to me, I can’t wait through everything,” I started off the bridge, singing my portion of it.

The audience took a hint and joined in on the last part of,  “La, la la la, la la la. Now everybody’s singing,” and we finished up the song.

That was not enjoyable, even though it was one of my favorite songs. I wish I hadn’t had to sing it with Peter, but at least it was done and over with now.

Now, I just had to worry about whether or not I was making it on to next week. Peter and I had been the first performance, so they hadn’t announced any names yet of the people who were moving on.

The remaining eight of us shuffled onstage, standing in a line. Carson was about to announce the first two people moving on.

“Now, saved from Team Usher-” he began. I tried my hardest not to scowl, knowing that there was a good chance this meant Peter was moving on. I waited a moment and he called the name. Yeah, I was right. The audience cheered as Carson announced that Peter was going to the Top 6.

I suppose I needed him to move on if I wanted to work things out with him, though. If he left, whether I stayed or not, we probably wouldn’t get a good chance to talk. Hopefully he would leave next week, though. If I continued on, I didn’t want to have to compete with him any longer.

“The next person saved is-” Carson began. Since he didn’t say a team name, that meant it would be from a team with only one member. Which meant that he was about to call either me, or the Team Shakira contestant.