Chapter Twenty-One

Words really couldn’t express how I felt. Tuesday night’s results revealed that I had made it to the Top 4 round. This upcoming week, only one person would be eliminated. If I could make it past this week, then I would be in the Finale. I was beyond happy.

I felt rather guilty for not talking to my friends the whole time I was here on the show, so I responded to all of their emails and got some responses back. They told me how they were doing, and I gave them the details of how things had been on the show. I didn’t mention the whole Me/Peter/Adam love triangle, though. I needed to figure that all out before I said anything about it. Honestly, I had no clue as to what my friends’ reaction to that one would be. They knew that Adam was my biggest celebrity crush ever, but actually kissing him was another thing entirely.

Feeling a strong need to practice extra for this upcoming week, plenty of effort was put into singing the song outside of my practices with Adam, which were exceedingly awkward at this point. It was like both of us were trying to act normal, with the cameras rolling and all, but we couldn’t really talk anything out. We couldn’t discuss neither the us and Peter drama llama, nor anything about the fire and such. And I could tell that it was distracting us both from what we were supposed to be doing, which was helping me get the song right for my next performance. I hoped that no one else could tell that we were acting a little strange.

The following Monday, I had to admit that I was more nervous about this performance than any other so far. I was dying to get to the finale, so maybe that’s why I felt like this performance was especially important to me. I didn’t want to let Adam down, either. And there was the teeny tiny fact that I did indeed want to beat Peter. But it was mainly the Adam part that I focused on.

My song this week was Counting Stars by OneRepublic. My biggest problem with this one was that the original was just so freakin good that I had no clue how the heck I could even compare to it. I was thankful that I would at least be able to make this sound different than the original, since, y’know, a girl was singing it this time.

Thankfully, this was a performance that simply wouldn’t work in a dress or skirt. I hated those things. I wasn’t a huge girly girl type, I was more of a tomboy. If you haven’t noticed.

When I went onstage, I was both nervous and confident. I mean, I loved singing this song, but if I messed even the tiniest of things up, it could keep me from going to the finale. You can do this, I silently chided myself as I stepped onto the stage.

About halfway through the performance, I noticed Adam giving me a nervous look. What the heck was that about? I wondered. Having no clue, I just kept on singing.

I felt accomplished afterwards, feeling like I did a good job. It had also been a really enjoyable performance, and I had a lot of energy, so it was overall quite fun. My nerves had gone away pretty quick once I started singing, so that wasn’t a huge problem.

Backstage, I saw Peter out of the corner of my eye. I walked over to him.

“Um, Peter?” I asked hesitantly.

“Yeah?” He said, turning towards me. He must’ve just realized I was there.

“I have a question for you.”

“Go for it.”

“This probably sounds really weird, but do you know why Adam looked so nervous during my performance?” I questioned. He would’ve been able to watch it all on the tv screens back here.

He shrugged. “It was probably all the lights.”

Huh? “What lights?” I was now very confused.

He rolled his eyes. “As in all the crazy flashing lights they were told not to use, but did anyways.”

“Oh. I didn’t notice those,” I admitted. I really hadn’t, I had been too focused on singing. But...