chapter 5. Clever Tricks

It seemed, at least to me, that a shift had been made in mine and Zara's relationship since our walk. Perhaps she realized I wasn't a deranged stalker or asshole; just a complete idiot. I also discovered a key aspect to Zara's character over the course of the dinner: she was someone who liked to tease. She liked to poke fun, and didn't seem to be someone who took herself too seriously.

The problem, however, was that I wasn't quite as good at reading sarcasm and playful taunts as one needed to be to not be shaken up by Zara.

Everything she did though, completely drew me to her. Her brilliant and mesmerizing smile, the openness and intelligence in her features, and the way her laugh seemed to dance in the air. And her eyes, they seemed to say "go ahead, I dare you to say anything."

I wanted to get to know her more but I knew I wasn't likely going to bump into her at my parent's place anytime soon; my mom would make sure our paths never crossed again. She wanted me to get married and have kids, but I think she was also well aware at how much of a failure at relationships I was. I mean, it's not like I didn't try. I tried very hard.

Most of the time...

sometimes.

Anyways, she didn't want me to mess up her business relationship with the "most beautiful genius I've ever met" as she called her.

And yeah yeah, I know, I should have honoured my mother's wishes and backed off, but there was something so devastatingly alluring about Zara. I had been thinking about her over the past month and some, from that very first day I had met her at the store, and how she had schooled me so easily.

So, I set out to give her my number. How, do you ask? Well, I knew she would never give me her number, so I gave her mine. I wrote my phone number down on a little note that read "Before you throw this out, just note that you could be throwing out what would be an immeasurably interesting and entertaining conversation". I slipped the note into her purse while my dad distracted her with his corny chicken on stilts jokes.

We Reimer men had to stick together.

Now, it had been almost a week since the dinner and I hadn't heard anything, which was rather disappointing. Until Friday morning, while in a conference call meeting with some investors, my cellphone buzzed in my pocket. I knew it was her, because anyone who knew me knew I always had some sort of meeting or conference call at this time.

"Oh thank god!" I exclaimed, interrupting what one of my colleagues had been saying. Everyone paused to look at me; my boss gave me a questioning look. It was fine though; they'd all come to expect this kind of odd behaviour from me.

I couldn't wait to get out of that room as soon as the meeting was over; too bad my boss Richard had other plans.

"David, come into my office for a minute." He said sternly. He led me down the hallway into his office. Our firm had 3 partners: Richard, Sharon and Oliver. Oliver had finally retired 3 months prior. No one knew if they would try to replace him, or if they would decide not to add a 3rd partner at all.

"Sit down." He said sternly. Sharon sauntered into the room then, she was a reasonably attractive woman of 45, with short black hair and a look that told me she had too much wine on the weekend. She sat on one of the adjacent chairs and gave me a grave look.

Well shit. This didn't look good.

"David," Richard began. "We brought you in here because we have a very serious matter at hand to discuss. You're fired."

What? He had to be kidding! I'm one of the best employees in the whole damn company!

And then both of them started laughing hysterically. Richard even fell out of his seat. The fuckers!

"You. Should. Have. See. Your. Face." He said between bouts of laughter.

Sharon whipped a tear from her eyes before extending her hand out to me. "Congratulations David, you made Partner. The position is yours if you want it."

I crossed my arms across my chest and huffed petulantly. "Well, after the stunt you just pulled, I definitely accept. I need to get you two back sometime, and for what I have in mind, you need to no longer be my bosses for me to pull through with it."

I really had nothing. But that shut them up. We shook hands, this time I was actually happy and Richard even gave me a side hug. They gave me all the paperwork for me to look over, review and sign and told me I could take the rest of the day off.

While I knew my work load would increase by becoming partner, I was definitely eager to be able to dictate my own hours and create my own schedule. I had 3 weeks to also find an assistant, which I was in desperate need of.

I was so happy when I got home; I immediately stripped down to my boxers and poured myself a hearty bowl of cereal. Eating quickly, I cleaned up and went into my bedroom, finally ready to read the text from Zara. Opening the message, I quickly saved her as a contact so I wouldn't lose her number.

Zara: that was a clever trick you did there.

That was all? I waited 1 goddam week for that?!

Me: I've waited 40 days and 40 nights and you give me so little  :(

Zara: You are so dramatic. You're lucky I'm even texting you at all. Your mother told me to steer clear of you :P

MOTHER! I groaned and closed my eyes. I would need to have a talk with my mother later on. How did she expect me to produce grandchildren for her if she kept steering away my only viable option?

Me: Ignore my mother, I think she hates me. Everything she says about me is a lie.

Zara: I guess you're not very sweet and thoughtful then. Too bad, her saying that was one of the reasons I thought I'd give you a chance.

My heart was beating frantically. I felt like a school girl talking to their crush for the first time. But even in my early adolescence I don't think I ever felt a rush like this. I didn't want to text her though; I wanted to hear her voice. I really, really hated texting.

Me: Everything my mother says is the truth!

Me: Can I call you?

Zara: I have a meeting in five minutes, so no.

Me: When is your meeting over?

Zara: In about an hour and a half? It may run a little longer depending on how well or poorly these men can handle being told they're doing everything wrong by a 22 year old woman.

I laughed out loud. I could imagine small, petite, beautiful Zara in a room full of men in suits, handing them their asses.

Me: I'm sure that'll go over swimmingly! I shall call you in 2 hours then.

Zara: Who says I'm going to answer?

I chuckled, not even taking a moment to think about it before I replied.

Me: I think you will, I think you're almost as curious about me as I am about you.

After that there was no reply. I knew she was most likely in her meeting. I released a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

Well, now that I had 2 hours to kill, it was time to figure out another important matter at hand. I needed to figure out what the flying hell "bae" meant. Art had been sending me some texts referring to himself and someone or something named bae.

I mean, what did "bae and I went to the spa to get our nails on point" even mean? Was that sentence even English?

And for the love of god –where did  Artur learn this shit from?!