Chapter 6. Spewing all kinds of

Before Anyone Else. That's what "bae" meant according to the urban dictionary. How's that even grammatically correct? Take for example, Art's text "bae and I are about to head out to the mall". Now, according to that definition, the sentence in which Art used the term would be highly grammatically incorrect. "Before all else and I are about to head out to the mall." How did that remotely make any sense? The other definition I found was Danish, and in Danish, bae meant poop. So "Poop and I are about to head out to the mall." See, that made far more sense.

Reah's a little shit after all.

I really needed a life outside of work, this was too sad.

I checked my watch; I still had 20 minutes to go. Now that I was thinking clearly, what was I even going to say when I did call her? I wasn't really good at this kind of stuff; most of the women I'd dated had expected me to create all the conversation and plan everything and I had always failed. Zara was also so complex that there wasn't any one way to talk to her. I had to be sexy, and witty, and silly AND serious all at once. I was in way over my head.

I heard my phone buzz and checked to see that it was a message from Zara.

Zara: Something has come up; I can't really talk right now.

I scratched the back of my head. Was she blowing me off or had something genuinely come up? I wasn't sure how to reply. I was still mulling over what to reply with when she sent me another text five minutes later.

Zara: Call me later? Around 9:30?

I let out a sigh of relief.

Me: Yeah sure, 9:30 then.

Now that I knew she wasn't just blowing me off, I was genuinely concerned. For me, life was very boring and things rarely ever came up. I started work at 8 and got off at 4. I went home, ate dinner at some point, sometimes worked out, and sometimes got together with Art or the boys, although Art was available to meet less and less lately.

Was I bored? Devastatingly so. Perhaps that was why I was so attracted to Zara. She was young, energetic, enigmatic and exciting. She looked like an adventure.

I decided to meet up with Artur and two of our close friends at the gym. While we would usually go to a bar on a Friday evening, it seemed everyone had plans with their girlfriends or love interests that evening. A good workout would was good though, and it was early enough we could still have time to shower afterwards.

"So, David, you've been awfully quiet." Jansen said. He was a lean, red headed man of 30. He was happily married (so he said) and his wife was currently pregnant. Jansen was probably the most mature person in our group of friends but always looked like he was up to no good. It was the curse of looking like Ronald Weasley.

"yeah, usually you're spewing all kind of bullshit," Avery piped in. He and Art exchanged a quick high five and laughed a little. Avery was our womanizer. See, I wasn't a player; I was just really bad at relationships. Avery, however, was a muscular, tall Nigerian with a very charming personality. He was always honest with women about what his intentions were, but that did not stop them from getting attached. We had the same problem, only he handled it better than I did.

"No man, I made Partner at the firm."

"Wow! Congrats!" Art said, putting down his weights to give me a sweaty hug. "My brother, partner. I'm so proud." He wiped an imaginary tear from his eye, but continued to grin at me like the mad hatter as Avery and Jansen gave me pats on the back.

"When did you find out?" Asked Jansen.

"This morning," I replied, taking a rest break on a nearby bench.