Chapter 7. Lover Boy

"And that's why till this day I can't look at hello kitty without wanting to leave wherever I'm at!" I said between bouts of laughter. Zara and I had been talking easily for the past 40 minutes or so. It felt so natural conversing with her; it felt like time had not passed at all. She was both a good listener and a good speaker, something that was rare to find in anyone. And furthermore, she didn't like stiff formalities and stuffy speech. Talking to her, one would never assume this was a woman who had revolutionized the way Engineering was taught in her final year at MIT. She was so laid back and now that she had decided to really give me a chance, I was let into the mind of someone that was truly unique and interesting.

"I think I'm ruined on hello kitty now as well, god David," she sighed.

The laughter died down, and she let in a breathy intake of air. It was so peaceful, gentle. There was a comfortable moment of silence, I got off my bed and made my way onto my large terrace and sat on a comfortable wicker lounge chair. Gazing out at the city lights, I couldn't help but take in the striking beauty of the night. I felt a courage surge through me from the night's anonymity and yet felt vulnerable all the same.

"The night is incandescent," I murmured.

Zara chuckled. "How can the night be incandescent David?"

"Though I am taking by darkness, there is light that emanates from your laugh, your voice, the innocent intimacy that surges between us," I said softly.

I could hear her soft intake of breath again and then the steady rhythm of her breathing. "Are you a poet David?"

"You make me feel like I could be one."

And then her steady breathing was erratic, it was quick and then all at once –like it had never happened –it was softly paced again.

"Tell me about what you like to do in your free time David," she said. She certainly had a way at changing topics.

"Well, I mostly see my family and friends. We go out camping, kayaking, canoeing, to the bar. Anything really, I just like being with them."

"What are they like? Your friends, I mean."

"Well," I chucked, "You've met Art."

Zara laughed. "Yes, I have."

"The rest are kind of like him. Jansen is our dad. He's married, has a baby on the way, and tries to keep us out of trouble. He even has a really boring dad job; He's a dentist."

Zara was laughing hard now. She took a moment to catch her breath. "As if! Okay, So Jansen the Dentist Dad, who else?"

She was adorable. "Then there is Avery, he's our designated sexy guy. He's a doctor at the Health Science's Center, works in the children's intensive care Unit. He's really funny though and thoughtful. If wasn't already betrothed to Art I would have probably gone for him."

"Well, it seems you have a lot of suitable mating partners," she laughed.

"Are you making a play on me?"

"You wish, Lover Boy."

"So I'm Lover Boy now?"

"Would you prefer Left Boob Boy?" she teased.

I groaned. "I will never live that down, once again, so sorry."

"Don't fret it; in the words of Elizabeth Bennet, I do dearly love to tease."

"Now that you've brought up that little bit of our history, I do have a question for you," I mused.

"Oh? And what would the question be?"