Chapter 11. Eclipse Of The Heart

If I thought Zara drove like a deranged person before, I was both pleasantly and frightening shocked at the speeds and maneuvers she was willing to do when she thought someone was in danger. We made it to the spike in fifteen minutes and she pulled up hastily into a parking spot, her forehead perspiring from her episode of The Fast and the Furious.

"Whew. We're here, let's go get your sister," She said, like she hadn't jut driven through twelve stop signs, two red lights and all at 20km faster than the speed limit. The force had definitely been with us... the force of Zara's foot on the gas pedal that is.

"Ummm...Okay, just give me a second to put my heart back into my chest."

She laughed easily and hopped out of the car, slamming it with the same force as she usually did with her car Magenta.

We raced into the dingy bar and started looking for Ana. We looked, and looked and looked but she was nowhere to be found. Bile rose in my stomach as panic settled in.

"Hey!" I shouted at the bartender over the loud music. "Was there just a woman, mid-thirties, long auburn hair and petite in here?"

"Yeah! I think she just left, seemed pretty upset about something."

I was already up and heading out the door, Zara's hand in mine. "Thanks!" I called over my shoulder.

The cool air outside bit my skin like a million fighter ants. I spun in every which way until I felt dizzy, searching for Ana's small frame in the darkness.

"I see her! She's across the street!" Zara called. I whipped my towards her to see her already running across the street until she reached Ana and flung her arms around her.

When I got a clear view of Ana, it felt like someone had filled my lungs with water and I could no longer breathe. I was sad, I was angry, I was confused –I felt too many goddam things to properly express any of them. Nothing could have prepared me for the sight of her. I wanted to both punch a wall and laugh till I heaved over, out of breath.

My sister, who was the epitome of a soccer mom, always in neutral coloured cardigans and comfort jeans, was wearing a highlighter pink tutu, neon green tights, a crop top that read "Devil" and so much makeup I almost didn't recognize her. She looked like an emo, punk rock preteen had thrown up all over her.

"Ana," choked. "Wha-what are you wearing? What's happened?"

She started bawling, covering her face with her hands as Zara held her tighter. "Just please, don't tell Mom and Dad, please. I just have to deal with this all first before I tell them."

"Of course, whatever you need," I assured her as I wrapped my arms around her as well.

We stood that way for a while, Zara wrapped around Ana, and me wrapped around the both of them as Ana wept and drowned our hearts in salty water. Eventually she calmed down long enough for us to guide her back to my car, and we drove back towards my Condo.

Zara had opted to drive, so that I could sit in the backseat with Ana and comfort her. I was focused on keeping Ana calm so I did not realize when we pulled in front of a large home in one of Winnipeg's premier neighbourhoods.

"Just a second," Zara said. "I just have to grab something from my place." She slammed the door shut and scuttled down the drive way and into the house. All the lights were off and it seemed as though no one was home. Her parents were probably away on a trip, which was probably why she was spending the weekend at my place.

When Zara came back out she was holding a small duffle and waited outside the car. She motioned for me to get out, so I told Ana I'd be right back and slipped out of the car.