one

"Goodbye, Juan Karlos," Said Darren. I was crying so much while watching the news. "We will miss you, bro." Then he wiped his eyes.

            "Oh my God," I cried again. Cam patted my shoulder. She knew how much I love Juan Karlos. And she came over to comfort me.

            "I'm sure God has a reason for this," Camelia said softly.

It has been a week since the crash. And today was the last day of his funeral. He was cremated. It hurts. The fact that your only source of happiness was burned to ashes. I don't like it.

            "I want to see his tomb," I whispered.

"He's not yet in the cemetery, Lau." Answered Cam. I shook my head and went upstairs to get tissue.

            Camelia went home after I calm myself down. Although I sometimes gasp every time I remember JK.

            Another week passed. A week without Juan Karlos. His IG was full of condolences and 'I will miss you's. I heaved up all my strength not to cry in the classroom. Too bad my life needs to continue even if he's gone. JK's gone. I can't believe it.

            Last night, I kept replaying his last post on IG. It was a video saying that he'll have a mall show somewhere in Visayas. I never thought that that could be his last post. Not until I saw the news.

"-How about you, miss Lauren?"

            My head jerked up upon hearing my name. "U-uhm, sorry, I wasn't paying attention." I mumbled.

            She shook her head then pointed to someone else instead. "I'll get back to you," The teacher said.

Dismissal time, and I was alone. I walk home with Cam. But since she has choir practices, I need to walk by myself. Manila's temperature these days have been extremely annoying. It's always hot and I hate that sticky feeling.

            I clutched the straps of my backpack while I silently walk my way home. Well, I didn't reached my house at once. Because this dirty guy walked in front of me. He was dirty. I tried to ignore him but I got curious.

            Then I looked at the beggar's face.

No. He's not begging. He's not a beggar.

            It's just Juan Karlos. So I shrugged and walked again-WAIT WHAT?

I blinked and looked back. He was staring at me like I'm some kind of a unicorn.

            But no. JK's dead.

But you don't believe that he's dead.

            Right. Maybe he's not! I approached the guy who seemed to look like JK.

"Uh, do you need something?" I asked. Nearly choking my words.

            "W-water please," He croaked. I stare at him for a moment. Thinking. Should I? Or should I not?

I removed my backpack and after thinking two times, I quickly rummaged for my water bottle. It was still half full since I refilled this afternoon.

            I watched him as he downed my water. Then he slowly gave it back. "I-sorry, I was too thirsty." JK said.

            "It's fine. Anything else?" I don't even know why I'm saying all these to a complete stranger. I'm sorry Mom. And not just a stranger, a weird and a dirty one.

            "C-can you take me with you?" He blurted.

My eyes went wide. Then I came back to my senses. "Why would I do that?" I asked. Oops, shouldn't have said that when I asked for what he needs in the first place.

            "I-I'm tired." He sighed. "Just please, take me with you. I'm weak, I need some rest."

"Why don't you sleep on the sidewalk?" I suggested. He took a glance at me then to the sidewalk.

            "I'm not used to it," He said. "I've tried it several times but I just can't."

Okay, what have I got myself into? Great work, Lauren. I'm sure Mom's going to be proud of you. Note to sarcasm.

            "How can I trust you?" I said, raising my eyebrows.

            "I'm Juan Karlos Labajo." He said.

First thing I want to do is scream. But not now, I guess. I am right! That was not JK! I wasted so many tears! Wait, hold your horses, Lauren. He might not be JK.

            "But you're dead." I whispered. Okay, pull back your tears now, Lauren. Please don't break down.

            "Andito lang ako, para sayo," He sang. I looked back at him with my eyes as wide as it can be. He seems to know my shocked face. "I'm alive." He said.

            I knew it. I knew from that very voice. When he sang. He's really JK!

"You make me cry," I said. "Come on, then. JK."

            OMG OMG OMG. HALP ME.