Chapter 1: The Son

Zelda

Eighteen Years Later...

I flip through an old book.

"Damn it." I curse and slam the book on the table.

"Mom?" A voice comes from the doorway.

"Oh, hi Casey." I say to my son in a depressed tone.

"Still can't find anything on how to destroy the darkness in Dad?" He asks.

"What do you think?" I say sarcastically.

"I'll take that as a 'no.'"

Casey was only five when I started hunting for Link. I told him that I was looking for a "bad man." Then, a couple years ago, he asked about what happened to his father. He was fourteen, I couldn't hide it from him anymore. So, I told him.

"What?!" He yelled. "Why wouldn't you tell me?!"

"Casey, calm down." I told him.

"No! Why wouldn't you tell me that my father was the Sage of Darkness?!"

"Because I knew if I told you that you would want to help fight. I didn't want you getting hurt." I said.

"You've hurt me enough with this secret. What else are you hiding from me?" He asked.

"Nothing. That's it." I assured him.

"All right, then."

There was an long pause.

"I wanna help." He demanded.

"All right." I say.

"He's my father. I need to be able to-. Wait, did you say 'All right?'" He asked with surprise.

"You're right. He's your father. You need to help save him."

"I've been through ever book in Kakariko's library. None of them say anything on how to dispel the darkness from someone. Not even the Hero of Time." I say.

Casey looks from the bottom of the floor-to-ceiling bookshelf to the top.

"What's that up there?" He asks, pointing to something just barely hanging over the edge of the top of the shelf.

He climbs the ladder to the top.

"What is it?" I ask.

"A book. It's green. Catch!"

He throws the book down to me. I catch it (I almost dropped it, but I caught it). Casey slides down the ladder.

"Nice catch." He says sarcastically.

"Shut up." I say.

I look at the title of the book.

"Mudora." It reads.

"The Book of Mudora?" I say in shock.

"The Book of what?" Casey asks.

"The Book of Mudora. It's a legendary book. It was said to have been destroyed when your father and Ganondorf took over. What's it doing in Kakariko Village?"

I flip through the book, looking for anything on the Sage of Darkness. I find a page labeled with that exact title.

It reads, "The Sage of Darkness is the eighth of the Sages and one of the three Dark Sages. The powers of the Sage of Darkness are unlike those of any other Sage. The Sage of Darkness can summon monsters and demons from thin air, change their appearance, and even use mind control. There is only one way to stop the Sage of Darkness, by putting a Light Arrow through his/her head or heart."

"There's no way to save Dad." Casey says, having read the paragraph.

"We need the Light Arrows to destroy him." I say.

"Where are they?" Casey asks.

"That's the problem. Many years ago, the Light Arrows were broken up into three different parts and scattered across Hyrule. They were put into three different temples. Ones that no one else but the Hero of Time could access. Supposedly, the temples contained a series of trials, which would conclude with a battle against the Guardian of the temple." I explain.

I flip to the page with information on the Light Arrows.

"No." I say, slamming my fist on the table.

Casey looks over my shoulder at the book.

"Shit." He says.

The page is torn in half. Only the title and the picture remains.