Chapter 8: Ghost

Casey

We approach the tunnel, made out of an old, fallen tree, to Kokiri Forest.

"We won't need the horses here." Mom says.

We tie the horses to a tree just outside the tunnel. We walk through a small portion of darkness only to enter into the forest.

"What is this place?" I ask, looking up in awe.

"This is the Lost Woods. Just a very small area of it, but don't worry, we'll go through a larger part of it to get to the Forest Temple." Mom answers.

We walk through a second tunnel and enter Kokiri Forest. Well, what was my father's home.

Nothing is left of the Forest. Everything is charcoal black. Someone torched this place. No doubt the Sage of Darkness had the Dark Knights destroy it because it reminded him of who he once was. Bodies of the children are scattered everywhere.

Beth drops to her knees on the charred grass. She begins to cry.

"I did this." She mutters.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I was a Dark Knight. Before you two came to Kakariko Village. Link ordered us to kill everyone and everything here. So we did. First, we executed the children. Then, we set fire to the Great Deku Tree and let the fire spread from there." Beth explains. "I'm so sorry. I was just following orders. I didn't even remember doing this. I did so many horrible things."

"It's all in the past, Beth." Mom comforts her. "Let's just go to the Forest Temple and get the final piece of the Light Arrows. After that, you can get revenge on Link and Ganondorf for making you do those things."

Beth wipes her eyes. "You're right. Let's go!"

The Lost Woods
Zelda

We enter the Lost Woods via the tunnel atop the lookout point. We hear Saria's Song playing throughout the Woods. The road splits into three different paths.

"Which way do we go?" Beth asks.

"The question is 'How do we now which to go?'" Casey says.

"You can't just go any way. You have to listen which path has Saria's Song playing the loudest." I answer.

We find our way to the Forest Temple. We encountered several Moblins when we walked through the Sacred Forest Meadow. Other than that, we got here without an problem.

The stairs to the Forest Temple have long been destroyed. I cast a spell that makes a staircase appear for us to enter.

We enter the great hall of the Temple. Four torches are lit around the elevator to the basement, where Link defeated Phantom Ganon and the Guardian of the Temple awaits.

Casey, Beth, and I step onto the elevator. It drops down into the basement.

A large door stands open. We stand in the doorway.

"Get ready!" I whisper to Casey and Beth.

The three of us draw our swords. We go in. We walk up the small staircase to the platform. Kneeling in the middle of it is a ghostly figure. He looks awfully familiar.

"Link?" I gasp.

"I am what is left of the man Link was." He says. "I am but a remnant."

"He's the Guardian?" Casey asks.

"Yes." I answer.

Link's Remnant stands up. We raise our swords.

"I will not fight all of you. I will fight one. Casey!" He says, pointing to my son.