Chapter 10: Biohazard

Beth

We walk outside. Epona, Eden, and Eaton wait for us. As he reaches Epona, Casey lets out a grunt and collapses to the ground. Zelda calls his name.

I remember that Casey was bleeding from his right arm. I rip off his sleeve. There's a small cut on his bicep, but what is around the cut is what scares me. Black lines form around the cut.

"Oh my god!" Zelda says.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Something I haven't seen for years. The Dark Infection."

"The what?"

"The Dark Infection comes from any cut that comes from a Dark weapon. The Infection causes a slow and agonizing death. Once it reaches your heart, you're dead." Zelda explains. "We have to get him back to Kakariko Village!"

Zelda and I put Casey on the back of my horse, Eden. Zelda gets on her horse, Eaton, and takes Epona's reins.

Back at Kakariko Village...

Zelda and I carry Casey in their house and lay him in his bed.

Zelda walks out of the room and grabs the Book of Mudora and walks back in. She flips through the Book. She stops on a page titled, "The Dark Infection."

"The Dark Infection is a deadly virus that comes from a Weapon of Darkness. It can only be cured by Tears of a Great Fairy." Zelda reads.

"Great Fairy Tears?" I ask.

"Yes. But the closest is on Death Mountain and it's too dangerous to up there."

"I'll go." I say.

"No, Beth. Casey needs you." Zelda protests.

"You're his mother. He needs you more than he needs me." I turn to Casey. "I'll be back. I love you." And kiss me on the lips. "I'll be back. I promise." I tell Zelda.

"Be careful. Take this." Zelda hands me a blue diamond.

"Nayru's Love?" I gasp.

"You might need it." Zelda says and hugs me.

She backs away and I walk out the door.

Zelda

I sit next to Casey on his bed. He's sweating. The fever has hit. That means he has only a short time before it reaches his heart. Beth needs to hurry and get up that goddamn mountain.

"It's going to be okay, Casey." I tell him. I don't know if he can hear me or not. I cast ice magic on my hand and put it to Casey's forehead. "It's going to be okay." I need to reassure myself.