ten

fanart by @tylxrjosxph

P H I L ' S  P O V

"He's not answering you either?" I asked Nyla over the phone.

"No," she began. "You said he was at swim practice today. Go there."

"I don't want to just show up. He could be busy or have his phone off."

"It's Dan though. He's obsessed with his phone- this is weird for him. I don't have a good feeling about this," Nyla replied.

I exhaled. She was right. "Can you come with me to check?"

"Yeah, I'll text you my address."

"Okay," and then I hung up. She texted me shortly after and I walked out my house, picking up Nyla. She hopped in my car, her blonde hair in a messy bun and an oversized grey jumper on.

We drove in silence and Nyla noticed my unease, reaching out and patting my leg. "Hey, it's alright. Stop worrying so much. It's not like he's dead."

What if he is? Oh god, what if he drowned? Slipped and fell on his head? A car crash?

Nyla groaned. "You're thinking he is now, aren't you?"

I sighed. "Maybe," I admitted.

"Look- woah! What the hell?" Nyla gasped. We both jumped as an ambulance sped by without warning, nearly crashing into us. We watched in silence.

Please don't turn right. That's where Dan is. Don't turn right, don't turn right, don't turn right.

But the worst happened, and the vehicle turned right, the sirens blaring and the lights flashing red and blue.

Nyla and I exchanged worried glances and I slammed on the gas, speeding to follow the ambulance. I parked to the side and pushed open my door, beginning to run out.

"Phil, hold on!" Nyla called. My heart stopped when I saw a body on the floor, unmoving and dripping water. And that body belonged to Dan Howell. Nyla caught up and followed my gaze to Dan's unconscious figure, and her frown deepened. "He probably just passed out-"

"No. His body is wet," I told her. I looked around and spotted three boys laughing in the corner, and my fists clenched.  "Stay here,"

"But Phil-"

I spun to face her. "I think those kids did it over there, and trust me, this is not something you want to see. Just go check with the paramedics about how Dan is. I'll deal with the boys."

Her lips formed in a tight line, but she nodded. "Fine. Just, don't kill anybody."

I chuckled lightly, beginning to walk towards the boys. "I'm not making any promises," I muttered under my breath. Nyla was already running to the ambulance as they hoisted Dan onto the gurney. I stomped to the boys and they noticed me, immediately beginning to back up. I stood in front of them. "Behind the building, now."

"Who the hell are you?" A ginger-haired boy spat.

"Your worst nightmare. Now shut the fuck up and walk in front of me," I growled. They gulped but listened, going behind the building with me- out of sight. "Alright, which one of you did it?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't play dumb," I snapped. His trousers read 'Ben.' "Now we can do this the hard way, which would most likely result in all of your heads on a stick, or we can do this the easy way, where only one of your heads will be on a stick. Now, this is the last time I am going to ask. Who drowned him?"

Ben and another boy with black haired stepped back, leaving a boy with ginger hair in front of them. "What? Are you guys fucking serious? Alex? Ben?" The boy snapped to his friends.

"Sorry Parker," Alex apologized.

I stepped forward, towering over him. He looked up at me, his body shaking. "So it was you?"

"N-no-" I cut him off with a sharp whack as my fist connected with his jaw, forcing him into the grass. Ben and Alex stood with their jaws dropped, shocked.

"A coward and a liar. You wouldn't survive a day if you met my friends," I sneered. I picked him up harshly by his hair and pinned him to the wall. "Why did you do it?"

"I didn't!" Parker cried out. I used my other fist to punch him in the nose, hearing a crack as his nose broke under my touch. He yelped out in pain, holding his face as the blood gushed through his fingers.

"Dude, calm down-" Alex began, but I shoved him to the side, and he fell backwards on his ass.

"Don't tell me to calm down. Do not fucking tell me to calm down. You just drowned an innocent sixteen-year old who has tolerated you fuckers no matter how much you guys tease him. He's told me what you guys call him. And let me tell you, there is nothing wrong with liking the same sex. What's wrong is the fact that you almost killed a teenager," wow this is really hypocritical of me, I thought. "If I was him, you would've been long dead by now."

"Man, shut up. Just because you've got piercings, tattoos, and a good arm that doesn't mean you can sass us around like you're an adult-" I cut Ben off, kicking him straight in the crotch.

He dropped to his knees. "Get him, boys."

I scoffed. "I'd like to see you little shits try."

They stayed in their place. Ben glared at his friends. "Now!"

They were uneasy about his idea, anyone could tell, but they listened like pets to an owner and Alex jumped on me, throwing a punch. I caught his fist and twisted his arm, slamming him to the ground and kicking him to the side. I probably just twisted his arm.

Oh well.

He groaned in pain and Parker staggered up, kicking me down when I wasn't looking. I fell and he got on top of me, but I shoved him off and threw punches wildly.

"Stop it!" Ben shouted. "You're gonna kill him!"

Without warning a flashlight was shining on me and I looked up to see two angry cops. Shit. I got off him quickly and Parker held his face. "You three, I'm calling your parents. And as for you," he pointed to me.

"Yes?" I replied, trying to hide my fear. What if he knew? What if he knew I killed all those people? Did Wirrow get caught? Bryony? Did Dan find out and tell them? Where's Nyla?

"We'd like to have a word with you."

I gulped.