Chapter One: The Conflict

Cora stood to the side of the ball room watching in wonder as members of the British high class conversed around her. She was feeling out of place and very uncomfortable in her lavish silver gown. Never had Cora had the luxury of such nice clothes, yet luxury is not the way she viewed her new life.

Why should she see is any other way? After all she has only known her fiancé for two weeks. Cora didn't even get a say in. A man twice her age showed up to her modest farming town in the new country of Canada. Why; because he was in need of a bride and has always had a passion for the exotics. Cora was perfect. She was young, beautiful, and single. Being metis; she was exotic, while still being white enough to be his bride.

Local men never found Cora attractive. She was the youngest of four daughters. Her parents raised her as a son, try as they might, they could not produce a male to help on the farm. Cora's oldest sister Ambre was married with two sons. Ambre's family moved back in with Cora's parents to take over the family farm. This relieved Cora of many of her manly duties, but men still viewed her as not feminine enough.

When Sir Benjamin Sutton arrived in search of a bride, Cora's parents prettied her up as best they could and showcased her as the belle of the town. In Benjamin's eyes she was perfect. With her parents blessing, Benjamin left them some money and took their youngest daughter back to England. There she stood, in a ball room in England. Where in England she did not know, but she did know that she did not belong.

Lost in the entrapment of the riches around her, Cora did not notice a young man approach her. "Good morrow Ms. Cora," said a man with a smooth, calming voice that pulled her back to reality.

She turned her head and looked up and a tall, handsome, young man with long curly black hair and what looked to be an old suit yet clean and pressed, it seemed to fit him perfectly. "Hello sir, I don't believe we've met." Cora was still uncertain of the lady-like manner she was to talk to others in this strange country.

"No, I am afraid we have not yet had the pleasure. I work for your fiancé, my name is Thomas Olivier," he paused for a moment just staring at her face. "If I may be so bold miss, why stand all alone over here?"

Cora looked down shyly. "I do not wish to be a bother, this is my first social gathering and to be quite honest I don't know what else to do."

Thomas chuckled to her anxiety, "For a woman, the task is simple. Just stand by your suitor, he will do all the talking. Sir Benjamin does like to talk." They laughed together. "But if you really want to get more comfortable, why not introduce yourself to some of the ladies." He said looking towards the multiple small groups of women.

"Oh I am afraid, I do not know what I would say to them," she paused looking at the women so comfortable in their beautiful dresses. "Even if I did, they may get lost in my accent and not understand a word I say." The sadness in Cora's voice did not go unnoticed; it also caused her formality to fade. She quickly looked up at Thomas, "I am sorry sir, I did not mean to ruin this lovely conversation."

"Everyone gets home sick, it is not uncommon enough to ruin such a wonderful conversation," he said looking deep into her eyes. They stood there for a moment enjoying the feeling of their connection when it was interrupted by a man making an announcement while standing next to the small orchestra.

"If I may have your attention, it is now time for the King and Queen's Waltz. I ask that each man ask a woman he did not accompany to the ball onto the floor."

As men walked over to the area the women were talking, Thomas turned to Cora and bowed holding out his hand, "May I have the pleasure of this dance?" Cora could not say anything, but placed her hand in his. The warmth of his hand caused her to blush and he gently pulled her close to him. She looked up at his face and it was smiling down at her. "Don't worry, I will guide you." Thomas whispered and away to the dance floor they flew.